• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Finally a female showed up

koty

5 Year Member
Here is an adult male iniridea:
inirideaci0.jpg

Here is the Melgar female getting ready...
fmalews7.jpg

... and that is a Melgar male but not the dominant
maleqc9.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You have confused your apistos. Your fish are A. sp. Papagei/Parrot not A. sp. Nanay/Melgar. I'm not surprised at the confusion. Ever since Römer put the "Nanay" name on the Papagei/Parrot fish - and refused to drop it, even after everyone else started using 'Papagei' - there has been no end to confusion.

koty

5 Year Member
Thanks for the correction. I have to say that the female was completely indistinguishable from the rest of my fish. based on size i have clearly two (out of six) males the "alpha" is most of the time very pale.

koty

5 Year Member
yes, twice First spawn i separated 10 and now I have 6 healthy young ones
2nd time I left them with their mom but the aq. is too crowded and they survived a bit more than a week. Now I think have eggs based on the females color. I'll try to transfer them with the mother.

koty

5 Year Member
You have confused your apistos. Your fish are A. sp. Papagei/Parrot not A. sp. Nanay/Melgar. I'm not surprised at the confusion. Ever since Römer put the "Nanay" name on the Papagei/Parrot fish - and refused to drop it, even after everyone else started using 'Papagei' - there has been no end to confusion.

Hi there Mike, here are two pictures i got from Jan (Dr. Oxmann) of females from the two species (A. sp. Nanay/Melgar and A. sp. Papagei/Parrot). Can you determine the species in each picture?

Apistogramma_sp_Melgar_fem.jpg

A_Algodon_female.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The top photo is a a female A. sp. Papagei/Nanay(sensu Römer). The bottom is not A. sp. Nanay/Melgar. It looks like A. sp. Pebas. There was a similar confusion on the German dwarf cichlid forum recently.

Yan

5 Year Member
Here are photos the male:

There name of this fish in the stock-list was Apistogramma "Melgar" from river San Martin:

Apistogramma_sp_Melgar1.jpg

Apistogramma_sp_Melgar3.jpg

Apistogramma_sp_Melgar_male.jpg

Apistogramma_sp_Melgar_male1.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yan,

The first set of photos show males of the A. sp. "Pebas"-Group. Other than photo #2, I cannot say which species/form because the do not show the diagnostic black markings. Photo #2, 5, 6 & 7 all show markings diagonstic of A. sp. Pebas. Photos #5, 6, & 7 look like A. sp. Pebas (Morado/Purple). Photos #2 & 3 might be A. sp. Papagei/Parrot, but I am not certain because I cannot see the caudal spot. All of these forms come from the Río Ampiyacu, but from different locations. They might be mixed at the importers or wholesalers.

Yan

5 Year Member
The first set of photos (all 4 photos) show the same male in different ages.
The first two are when he was less then a year old.
On the next two he is about two and a half years old.
Here is the female of the species:

Apistogramma_sp_Melgar_fem.jpg

The next set of photos ( 3 photos) also show the same male.
If I can I will make a photo where the caudal spot will be seen clearly.
But I would like to note that it mostly isn't seen clearly because he is usually colored like in the photos.
Here is the female of the species:

A_Algodon_female.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Are the photos of the females of the same specimen? The top photo is definitely A. sp. Papagei in her highest brood dress. The lower looks a bit like a female A. sp. Pebas, but the caudal patch does not taper toward the head like Pebas. I guess it could be A. sp. Papagei in a lower state of breeding readiness. As you can see it is best to see more than 1 or 2 photos.

Yan

5 Year Member
The fry also have different coloring; some have a more noticable vertical strips while the other have a more noticable horizontale line.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yan,

The first female has the brood dress of A. sp. Papagei (only 2 lateral spots on the rear half of the body). The second female has the brood dress of A. sp. Pebas (has 4-5 lateral spots).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….