• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Favorite Apistogramma

Don cheech

What is your favorite Apisto
Mine are
A. Double red & Fire red
Macmasteri red shoulder
And others its tough to have a favorite there are just so many beautiful ones

anewbie

I'm not sure i have a favorite; but i am very pleased with a. lineta and a. sp winkelfleck. Not so much with a. ortegai - also the wc cockatoo are pretty nice but rather vicious.

MacZ

I definitely have favourite dwarf cichlids. Obviously the whole genus of Dicrossus, but also Biotoecus and wild Mikrogeophagus.
If I was pressed to name a favouite Apistogramma though... A. elizabethae and A. ortegai probably.

anewbie

I definitely have favourite dwarf cichlids. Obviously the whole genus of Dicrossus, but also Biotoecus and wild Mikrogeophagus.
If I was pressed to name a favouite Apistogramma though... A. elizabethae and A. ortegai probably.
The wild caught blue rams i have are really colouring up nicely - to the extent i don't understand why people go for the 'german blue' variety.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Of the species i’ve kept, i have to say a. Baenschi and a. Atahualpa.
Beyond that there is too many beautiful fish to pick from.

-r

anewbie

By the way this is male a. lineta:

I believe there is another catch location that has a red version of this fish.

a_lineta.jpg

anewbie

Your fish doesn't look like a typical A. lineata to me. Rather I believe that it's A. sp. Blutkehl which is also found in the Rio Atabapo.
Jeff sold it as a. lineta but i wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Is there a significant difference in behavior ?

I see the lineta has more red in the face; i do have a 2nd male with a bit more red but nothing like the pictures. The fins look similar but not quite the same.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Jeff sold it as a. lineta but i wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Is there a significant difference in behavior ?

I see the lineta has more red in the face; i do have a 2nd male with a bit more red but nothing like the pictures. The fins look similar but not quite the same.
The main difference are the abdominal markings: lineata shows 3-4 rows of vertical streaks/oval blotches, whereas Blutkehl often shows darkend/blackend vertical bars below the lateral band (sometimes in addition zigzag stripes).
Moreover, if the caudal fin of your fish isn't completely patterned by vertical rows of narrow stripes, it's not lineata (from your picture, I can't see whether or not this is the case).

For comparison A. lineata:

102390574_748295335916949_2742207769477120000_n.jpg

A. sp. Blutkehl:
IMG_9423_convert_20161227024549.jpg

14524435_679902048835517_2334653374641935149_o.jpg

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samtheman

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(