• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eunotus from Pebas area

Ttw

5 Year Member
A few years ago Mike and Tom C. collected some intensely blue eunotus types from around the Pebas area. Did those fish maintain that color in the aquarium and in subsequent generations?

Tom C

5 Year Member
Hi Tom,

Yes, we collected the A. cf. eunotus (Shishita) in October 2008.

It looked like this when we collected it:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

Back home, after a while in a tank, it looked like this:

resizeimage.aspx

and like this:

resizeimage.aspx

I never raised the fry, unfortunately, so I have no idea how the next generation would look like....
I could ask Mike if he bred his fish, I'll see him tomorrow...... in Peru :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I had a spawn, but lost it and females when I ruptured a disc in my back. I have no idea what succeeding generation would look like, but mine were a very nice blue color (similar to Morado) in my tank. I had a male for about 2 years. I would like to get this fish again.

Meet you at customs in Lima tomorrow, Tom(C).

Ttw

5 Year Member
Hi Tom,

Yes, we collected the A. cf. eunotus (Shishita) in October 2008.

It looked like this when we collected it:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

Back home, after a while in a tank, it looked like this:

resizeimage.aspx

and like this:

resizeimage.aspx

I never raised the fry, unfortunately, so I have no idea how the next generation would look like....
I could ask Mike if he bred his fish, I'll see him tomorrow...... in Peru :)

Ttw

5 Year Member
I got mine at Stingray last time I was in Iquitos. They have faded out and don't have that blue color anymore. I was wondering how other people's fish had faired. Mike, I do have fry if you are interested when you get home.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your fish appears to be a population of A. sp. Pebas, but I cannot be positive because it shows no dark markings. It is not the same as same as the holotype form of A. eunotus from near Pucallpa. There is an unusual species in the Río Shishita, just downstream from Pebas (A. cf. eunotus Shishita). Males are large, blue (but not as blue as your fish), with a double tipped caudal fin, and split bars on the lower half of the caudal peduncle. The females, however, show a caudal patch similar to that seen on Pebas. Very odd!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Without precise collecting data, you will never know. It looks much like the fish Tom & I collected out of a water buffalo watering hole about 15 minutes walk outside of Pebas.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….