• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Egg-bound P. Taeniatus

cedartree

5 Year Member
I have a Moliwe female that appears to be severely egg-bound. I'm sure it's not Dropsy as her color is good and she is still eating. Of course she is swimming clumsily, more like a waddle given her size I guess. I surfed the web and the major recommendation is to use Epsom salts. The method I used is to put a tbsp of epsom salt in a gallon of tank water and let her soak in that for 15-20 minutes and then return her to her tank. I also add an airstone to the container I soak her in. I've used this for 3 days in a row but see no improvement. She is currently in 10 gal tank along with a male Moliwe. Any recommendations will be appreciated.
Walt

electric eel

5 Year Member
i have had some limited sucess with live adult brine shrimp(with angelfish).i read somewhere that they have a mild laxative(similar to the epsom) affect.unfortunately at least in my experience they usually keep eating right up till they die and i've only been able to save a couple( i've lost every none angelfish female that became eggbound)someone told me you could apply gentle pressure to the abdomin and force the eggs out but i've always been afraid to try but i've had a couple that died that i applied the least bit of pressure and the eggs squirted out.good luck!it really sucks when this happens.

cedartree

5 Year Member
egg-bound P. Taeniatus Moliwe

For Ted Judy:

No improvement in my female Moliwe. Still has good color and is eating but no reduction of the bloating. Do you have any suggestions? I'm sure you've seen this given your extensive experience with the species. Thanks.
Walt

cedartree

5 Year Member
For electric eel:

Thanks for the response. I don't have access to adult brine shrimp here. However, I do have frozen mysis shrimp and brine shrimp with spirulina, also frozen. Do you think this would be an adequate substitute? The female is still eating and her coloring is fine. However, she has been swollen like this for more than a week so I'm not optimistic about her recovery.
Walt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….