• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Driftwood "caves"

rhinoman

5 Year Member
This is my first post on this forum. I'm going to be setting up a 600+ gal South American Biotope Aquarium when we build our house (next fall or following spring). The aquarium will be built in the wall and has it's own support room behind it. I'm going to move my seven Angels into it, 100 Copelandi tetra's, 10 neon orange cory's, 10 Albino cory's, 40 Otto's, 1 Bushynose Pleco, 4 Banjo cats, 5 Keyhole cichlids (1 male 4 female), 2 pr Blue Rams, 1 Pr orange flash. 1 pr double red and possibly some other dwarf ciclids. The tank will be planted and have a lot of driftwood. Will the cichlids spawn in driftwood caves or do they need rock caves?

rhinoman

5 Year Member
Do the caves have to be three sided or will entanglements work? I could build driftwood cave's with silicone and cut driftwood pieces than incorporate them naturally into the Aquascape, or will the "caves that occur naturally from pilling the driftwood be sufficient?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Dwarf cichlids like holes that have openings that are easily defendable. The best driftwood holes are those that are not tunnels. If possible they prefer a hole with a small opening and a larger interior space. That is hard to accomodate with driftwood. I have used pieces that are very holey and pitted on the bottom, and the females have dug away the substrate under the wood to make the perfect cave for them selves. I guess one coule make caves in solid pieces of wood with a drill, though I have never done that. Another option is to use ceramic caves, but bury them under and behind the driftwood.

Jayhawk

5 Year Member
I've had good luck creating caves with small (but flat & wide) pieces of driftwood layed together to form small triangular caves - they essentially have only one opening large enough for the parents to enter through (although the fry can swim out though cracks in other parts of the "cave"). I have a good LFS with lots of mopane pieces I can pick through, so I'm lucky and can find lots of neat pieces of stackable driftwood.

Eric

Edited simply because my original message was poorly written.

lab

5 Year Member
It is quite possible that, given the choice, they will choose something like Ted described.
If not given the choice, they will just do with what is offered. I don't use pots or coconut shells because it disturbs my illusion of nature, but the fishes don't have these considerations and will happily breed in these constructions.

Lars

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
100 Copeland tetras?

I have to ask, where did you get 100 Copeland's tetras (H. copelandi)? I've never seen them imported in that kind of numbers. Are you in the states? I'd love to take a group of 10 off your hands and make it worth your while...
Steve (aka Freshwaterfishfan)

rhinoman

5 Year Member
freshwaterfishfan said:
I have to ask, where did you get 100 Copeland's tetras (H. copelandi)? I've never seen them imported in that kind of numbers. Are you in the states? I'd love to take a group of 10 off your hands and make it worth your while...
Steve (aka Freshwaterfishfan)

I didn't; read a little more closely when I set up my 600 I want to put in 100 or so Copelandi! Right now I have 5 I have a funny feeling it's soon to be 4 one looks stressed. I have 25 more on order. My Copelandi look nothing like the ones in the Burgess atlas though mine are much more colorful, they're not even shaped the same so I wondered if they were misidentified. An internet search brought up this site:An internet search brought up this site: http://library.kcc.hawaii.edu/external/ctsa/publications/serpae.htm . The Copelandi's shown on this site although only a drawing look like the ones I have. I got them From Uncle Neds Fish factory:

Uncle Neds Fish factory
1590 Main st rte 109
Millis MA 02054
508 533-5969
Hope this helps.

rhinoman

5 Year Member
I'm going to try and figure out how to post an image. It's my mission today! By the end of the day I should have a picture of at least one of the "Copelandi's" posted.

rhinoman

5 Year Member
Holy crap I did it. Was there ever any doubt? OK, so I wasn't really sure I'd be able to do it. Here's the pic of my "Copelandi's".
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
It's not the worlds best picture but it is an accurate depiction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billgrunt77

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(