• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Domestic or imported

Don cheech

Hello again I was looking for opinions on whether It’s better to go with Apisto’s imported or domestic. I have read some articles where they lean towards domestic for various reasons, but then I look at some very very reputable dealers that are using imported what’s your take on it?

Apistoguy52

Both…there are both really nice fish, and really poor fish that fall in both camps (import and domestic). What fish are you looking for specifically?

Don cheech

Both…there are both really nice fish, and really poor fish that fall in both camps (import and domestic). What fish are you looking for specifically?
Agasizzi fire red, blue flame and double red
Caccatuodies double red
Macmasteri red shoulder
Not in the same tanks of course

MacZ

Those are all domestic breeds (as in man made through line-breeding for certain traits like colours) but I guess by "domestic" you mean bred in your country, right?

Don cheech

Those are all domestic breeds (as in man made through line-breeding for certain traits like colours) but I guess by "domestic" you mean bred in your country, right?
Yes
One article was saying that imported fish from another country is putting more stress on the fish vs locally bred

MacZ

That article is stating the obvious. Of course, the longer the transit in shipping, the more stress. On the other hand, coast to coast shipping in the US is technically long distance, too. And sticking to domestic bred fish (let's say in general, not just dwarf cichlids) reduces your choices by a lot. I'd say between 70 and 80% of the fish you can buy at your average LFS are imports, no matter if farmbred or wild caught.

Don cheech

That article is stating the obvious. Of course, the longer the transit in shipping, the more stress. On the other hand, coast to coast shipping in the US is technically long distance, too. And sticking to domestic bred fish (let's say in general, not just dwarf cichlids) reduces your choices by a lot. I'd say between 70 and 80% of the fish you can buy at your average LFS are imports, no matter if farmbred or wild caught.
Yeah that makes sense how feel about Apisto’s from the CZ region

Don cheech

Yeah that makes sense how feel about Apisto’s from the CZ region
So you what makes me crazy. I am still an amateur but I am trying so hard to try and get better and get it right especially with Apisto’s because I absolutely love them and I am thinking about using Aquaclarity because he’s supposedly one of the best dealers here in the US and he tells me not to acclimate the fish just get them to temperature. I mean I have heard that before but you have like 95% off the industry telling you to drip acclimate and then here’s a highly rated successful Apisto dealer who’s been doing it for years like that. What’s your take on that

MacZ

I don't like Czech bred fish, mainly because of their methods in mass production and because the good quality fish are sold to outside the EU, we only get second choice. And that although Germany and the Czech Rep have a common border.

Don cheech

I don't like Czech bred fish, mainly because of their methods in mass production and because the good quality fish are sold to outside the EU, we only get second choice. And that although Germany and the Czech Rep have a common border.
Any other places to avoid

MacZ

I mean I have heard that before but you have like 95% off the industry telling you to drip acclimate and then here’s a highly rated successful Apisto dealer who’s been doing it for years like that. What’s your take on that
Not the case here. Here stores tell you the opposite.
And neither is completely right or wrong. It depends on the situation. If the EC of the tank water is much higher or lower than the water they are sold in drip is advisable. But if they are within a close range... you don't have to do it.

Don cheech

Not the case here. Here stores tell you the opposite.
And neither is completely right or wrong. It depends on the situation. If the EC of the tank water is much higher or lower than the water they are sold in drip is advisable. But if they are within a close range... you don't have to do it.
Got it thanks. I will stop bothering you for now but that’s how obsessed I am with this it’s 3:15 am here I have to get up soon can’t sleep thinking about what to do anyway thanks and good night

MacZ

Any other places to avoid
Fish farmed in South East Asia, but unlike in the EU, retailers in the US don't have to label the origin. We have categories like "W" for wild caught, "NZ" (German: Nachzucht) for tankbred, "EU NZ" for tankbred in the EU and DNZ ("deutsche Nachzucht") for german tankbred. NZ is about to be changed to putting the country of origin on the label.

Don cheech

Fish farmed in South East Asia, but unlike in the EU, retailers in the US don't have to label the origin. We have categories like "W" for wild caught, "NZ" (German: Nachzucht) for tankbred, "EU NZ" for tankbred in the EU and DNZ ("deutsche Nachzucht") for german tankbred. NZ is about to be changed to putting the country of origin on the label.
Thanks again for all your help and support

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
do you think black ruby Barb’s
Would be good tank mates for Apisto’s
I agree with MacZ unless this is larger than a 40 breeder tank and you can house up to 10+ barbs. Although not as "rowdy" as Tiger Barbs, bored (read too few of their own with which to interact) Black Rubys can annoy other fish by bothering them.

Don cheech

I agree with MacZ unless this is larger than a 40 breeder tank and you can house up to 10+ barbs. Although not as "rowdy" as Tiger Barbs, bored (read too few of their own with which to interact) Black Rubys can annoy other fish by bothering them.
Yeah that’s what I think too because I have a 55g with Odessa barbs and a
A. Caccatuodies which is doing well but he mostly stays in hiding since I added the barbs A few months ago probably gonna switch them out

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamigLag

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(