• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

M or F Hongsloi?

ue222

Hello,

Now that it’s been a week of the new apisto pair acclimating I’m wondering if you can confirm or deny that this is a female.

Thanks!
Picture of male attached as well

Let me know if I need to take more. They were sold as a pair but I’m just wondering if now that they’re in their own tank if that appears to still be the case.

Attachments

• IMG_5806.jpeg
    IMG_5806.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5795.jpeg
    IMG_5795.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5802.jpeg
    IMG_5802.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 55

ue222

Yeah I’m not so sure she’s a female either based on a week of behavior. Size difference is big though. I’m inexperienced with apistos so came to get more opinions
I’d be amazed if this wasn’t two males. While this isn’t a fish I’ve bred a ton, I’ve never had a female display that much color.

MacZ

Is it a display tank? If so, just return one of them and don't get a female. It's display or breeding tank. Not both at the same time.

ue222

Is it a display tank? If so, just return one of them and don't get a female. It's display or breeding tank. Not both at the same time.
No this was supposed to be breeding tank for just one pair no other fish

MacZ

Ah, allright. Then I'd return both. Those are domestic bred A. hongsloi, they are superfluous in the trade and hard to get rid of.
If it's your first Apisto breeding project, try A. borellii or A. agassizii.

ue222

Ah, allright. Then I'd return both. Those are domestic bred A. hongsloi, they are superfluous in the trade and hard to get rid of.
If it's your first Apisto breeding project, try A. borellii or A. agassizii.
Gotcha. Yes this would be my first apisto breeding project. my other apisto are in display tank. Wondering why you suggest agassizii or borellii for first time breeding. I know borellii is commonly recommended but what makes agassizii the recommendation over say caucatoidies. Do they tend to do better in pairs? My LFS gets in both borellii opal and multiple agassizii varieties so I can get either. I am in USA by the way

MacZ

A.borellii because they are easy to handle and you can get rid of the fry. A. agassizii are usually not as overbred as A. cacatuoides which are just a mess nowerdays, if you look at the domestic forms. Also A. agassizii are less hard to rehome.
In my opinion "pair" is not an option for longer than the time it takes for the fish to spawn. With very few exceptions Apistogramma do not form pairs for longer than that. Removal of the male may very well be necessary after the eggs are laid.

Ok, US...I stick to my recommendation.

ue222

A.borellii because they are easy to handle and you can get rid of the fry. A. agassizii are usually not as overbred as A. cacatuoides which are just a mess nowerdays, if you look at the domestic forms. Also A. agassizii are less hard to rehome.
In my opinion "pair" is not an option for longer than the time it takes for the fish to spawn. With very few exceptions Apistogramma do not form pairs for longer than that. Removal of the male may very well be necessary after the eggs are laid.

Ok, US...I stick to my recommendation.
Thank you so much. I will bring back smaller one for sure and consider keeping just the bigger male and making it a display tank with other small fish OR exchanging bigger one as well for borellii or agassizii M+F next time they come in. With the understanding I’d have to potentially remove male after spawning. Any agassizii varieties you would recommend above others? Or all domestic forms the same. They had wild agassizii recently too

MacZ

My recommendation is always: Wild caught or wild type over domestic breeds. I can't stand the latter. They are often just pitifully disabled fish. Cichlids communicate with their colours and fins. If the colour is linebred to a static and the fins (as often in domestic A. cacatuoides have partially oversized dorsals or undersized ventrals) it's like if a human has a permanent grotesque grin on their face. Result is higher aggression and lots of stress caused by botched social behaviour.

ue222

My recommendation is always: Wild caught or wild type over domestic breeds. I can't stand the latter. They are often just pitifully disabled fish. Cichlids communicate with their colours and fins. If the colour is linebred to a static and the fins (as often in domestic A. cacatuoides have partially oversized dorsals or undersized ventrals) it's like if a human has a permanent grotesque grin on their face. Result is higher aggression and lots of stress caused by botched social behaviour.
I really wanted to find some F1 or wild type especially locally. Sounds like I’ll have to check with the manager if those wild agassizii they had were wild caught or wild type and captive bred and if they can get me more. Thanks for the advice. Happy to confirm this smaller Hongsloi is a male so I can get him back to the store before the bigger one can do any damage

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….