• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dithers?

mike_cummi

5 Year Member
Let's say you have a pair of dwarf cichlids in a tank on their own. They are introduced to a strange environment with only eachother for company, nothing happens in the tank other than actions carried out by themselves.

In such circumstances the fish can be bored and fearful, and this often manifests itself with the fish constantly hiding in whatever cover is available and the male constantly harrassing the female until she is dead.

If you introduce a shoal of peaceful "dither fish", the dwarfs should feel safer, more relaxed and won't be so bored. Small peaceful tetras, hatchets, pencils and rasboras are often used but any small peaceful fish will work. Preferably ones that don't inhabit the bottom regions of the aquarium and trespass directly into the dwarfs territory and preferably ones that are from the same biotope and locale inhabited by the dwarfs.

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Thanx

Thanx Mike: I have glowlights, black skirts and corydorises in my 46g tank
and emperor tetras in 15g tank

mike_cummi

5 Year Member
I haven't got my dwarfs yet, still setting up my tank. i've got harlequin rasboras and plan to add glowlights and ottocinclus as well as a pair of apistos. Maybe some cherry barbs later on if there's space.

I don't think corydoras are the best tankmates for Apistos. I once had an agassizii kill a Cory and have heard others tell of clashes between Apistos and Corydoras.

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Barbs

I'm just getting back into the hobby after15 years, but what I remember is that Barbs are quite a pain in the but for fin nipping. You might want to consider something else if you are getting apistos with longer fins.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nick S. said:
I'm just getting back into the hobby after15 years, but what I remember is that Barbs are quite a pain in the but for fin nipping. You might want to consider something else if you are getting apistos with longer fins.

It really depends on the species. Cherry Barb are pretty mellow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….