• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dither Fish

joeyg2100

5 Year Member
I want to breed some Apistogramma Cacatuoides. I am getting 1 male with 3 females in my 30 gallon tank. I am looking to get some dither fish, and heard that Nannostomus are a good spciecies for dither fish, but I can not get a hold of any N. Eques or any Nannostomus spiecies in my area. So my question is what would be another good dither fish. In my area I can get several breeds of tetras and some guppies. Any suggestions will help.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Many hobbyists have been successful with keeping guppies and even platys with A. cacatuoides (preferably in water that is not excessively acid). Hatchetfish also are a good choice, but make sure there is a plant cover like Duckweed on the surface. These little beggars actually do fly!

DH247

5 Year Member
The micro rasboras (miniature danios now I guess...) work pretty well. I would stay away from the tetras. They mostly come from nutrient poor waters and are always eager to get a little snack!

nc_nutcase

5 Year Member
I kept a breeding colony of Endlers in a 6’ tank with a colony of Cacs and all went well for a year until I moved things around… I would highly recommend them for someone looking for a top dwelling dither that can also produce food via fry.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've got a breeding group of Epiplatys dageti 'Nkwanta GH96' in with my A.eremnopyge group and they are excellent at staying up near the top and 'dithering'! They can also be got as eggs from somewhere like Aquabid making them available everywhere! While predatory, they barely ever leave the surface!

jaeger222002

5 Year Member
I had heard that Nannostomus were good dither fish as well. I bought some N. beckfordi. Well, If I had to do it again I wouldn't. The males (2M, 4F) will not leave my pair of A. Sp. "mamore" alone. Everytime the pencils see the apistos in the open, they shoot down at them to check them out. I also thought pencilfish would be good because I was told that they were relatively calm compared to tetras. Wow, that couldn't be farther from the truth with the beckfordi that I have. I think I am just going to go back to hatchetfish. Good luck with your dithers.

Brad

eranu

5 Year Member
I am using endler/guppy hybrids in most of my tanks. The endlers spawn alot, are easy to move on when adult, and very placid. If you dont want any fry then a group of males are very entertaining, they never leave each other alone but do no damage.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….