• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Digging behavior of P. Taeniatus

cedartree

5 Year Member
I currently have a pair of the moliwe color form and the male is proving to be a sand excavator of the first order. Rather annoying as he has dug up quite a few of my stem plants. Hope to obtain a lobe shortly and assume the male will do the same. Is there any way to minimize their digging? A bare bottom tank is not an option for me. Thanks.

Walt

ste12000

5 Year Member
A bare bottom is about the worst thing for a pelvicachromis so its good to hear its not an option!!
All Pelvicachromis will adjust the tank substrate to suit themselves and to prepare the tank for spawning efforts, if you expect this before you aquire the fish then its not too much hassle, if you dont know that they move the substrate then its hard to watch, esspecially when your nicely decorated tank its getting a redesign!!!
Luckily these excavations are never too major and are usually tolerated by the keepers of these fish, mine recently completely covered a young Nymphaea sp with a mound of sand in my planted tank, the plant simply grew through the mess and now looks attractive and far more natural. I would simply suggest that you bear it out and enjoy the fish for what they are...

In Pelvicachromis, Excavation means procreation!!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Some pairs dig a lot, and others do not. I have two wild pairs of 'Dehane' right now. One pair excavates all over the tank, and the other only around the cave they breed in. I also have a 'Moliwe' pair that does not big at all, but spawns regularly.

I think that for some fish the excavation becomes an important part of courtship. Once the the spawning triggers I have used successfully is to place three caves in the tank and fill them with sand from the substrate. The pair will diligently excavate all of the caves. I like to fill that caves up whenever I am messing around in the tank (water changes, glass scrubbing, etc..). To save you plants try adding a couple caves and keep them filled with sand between spawns. I bet the pair will concentrate on them and leave the planted areas alone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….