• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

D.maculatus pics

Heidge

5 Year Member
Hi,

Thanks all!

Water conditions are:
temp: 30 C
pH: as low as can it be
total hardness cannot detect in tests...Less than 1
carbonate hardness: also less than 1

Water changes with half deionized water. Just put some peat to give a black tea collouration and lower the pH...

Good luck :wink:

Heidge

5 Year Member
Hi Matt,

The pH value I really dont have a test at home that could go for it. The maximum is a azoo test and go only 4.5. So I got to get the value of pH in my lab on a pHmeter.

The value of reading was 4.9 in 22.5C. Must remember that in this aquarium the temperature is up to 30C.

What you mean by EC? Carbonate? I dont understand, sorry :wink:

Good luck,

farm41

5 Year Member
Electrical Conductivity, measured in micro Siemens

or a TDS meter 'Total Dissolved Solids'

Lots of us use the meters as a way to interpet our water hardness, easier than Kh testing.

A

andrespal13

Hi I have six Dicrossus in a tank, but i dont know exactly if it is maculatus or filamentosus. I have been searching for photos in the web, but i havent seen a good indicator.

Are you sure yours are maculatus? i though the same but the ones i have have a blue coloration instead of red. It is maybe a population difference?

I want to know more information about this fish (patterns of coloration, behavior, etc) because i have only found some poor information about Dicrossus maculatus (which is endemic from Colombia) and some reviews of rio tapajos species.

Heidge

5 Year Member
Hi Andrespal13,

I know for sure that my Dicrossus is D.maculatus. All have adult sizes and are spawning frequently. I see white eggs but no babies. Probably because the water I use. Got to try again straight RO...

If you wanna know more about them, I write some insigths that I learn from them and read in the net. It is in portuguese here: http://www.aquahobby.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13609

About location mine came from brazilian waters of Amazon river. I almost sure they came from Manaus... It is really red comparing with pictures that I see in internet, that are predominating blue ones...

If the link dont work for you, try to register in the aquahobby forum.

Good luck with them!

A

andrespal13

Ok thanks i read the information in the link, and i find out that the ones that i have are D. filamentosus.

I want to know if this two species cohabit in the same places (i.e sympatric speciation) or they are found in different locations (allopatric). I know that D. filamentosus cohabits confluence swamps in Rio Negro, Orinoco and also some blackwater tributaries with some species of Lebiasinidae (I have mines with Nannostomus eques), but i havent found the ocurrences of D. maculatus.

Maybe you know more about it. Thanks

Nice fish

Heidge

5 Year Member
Hi Andres,

My D.maculatus came from Santarem, not Manaus. Sorry :lol:

I dont think that these two species live together because the different location atributted to them.

Thinking that, one question came to me: I wonder if could happen cross bredding between these two species. Does anyone notticed that?

See you,

kross

5 Year Member
are the males always that colourful even if it's young? and is the female always that dull with only red ventral fins? Would like to know so that i won't get the wrong fish. Thanks.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
With juvenile fish the males & females are very similar and hard to tell apart. On mature fish, males have rows of spots on the tail fin but females do not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(