• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crenicichla compressiceps

Borked

5 Year Member
Hey all,

I am looking for a little experience from you all on this fish's aggressiveness. I've read numerouse things, but only about the aggression during breeding.

I am keeping a single unsexed fish of about 2 - 2 1/2 inches (55 cm or so) in a 75gal tank with a few other dwarfs (A. viejita, D. Fil), many dithers, tons of plants, wood, rocks, etc. I have no intention to ever breed this fish, it is an addition to my "show" tank.

The large male A. viejita (the only Viejita) has postured quite a bit and pushed the newcomer around (no biting as of yet) and the pike just kinda shrugs it off and continues his travels. The male Dicrossus flares and flicks but keeps his distance.

When this cichlid finally decides on some territory and gains a little size what kind of aggressiveness are these fish (if kept singley, in a relatively calm tank) capable of?

Any experience out there when it comes to simply keeping Crenicichla compressiceps?

TIA,
-Kyle

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Kyle,
My compressiceps didn't bother the other fish too much at all. I've kept them in everything from a 20L to 125g. They seemed more interested in other compressiceps, but didn't give any consideration to the apistos and pelvs. I never was able to get a 100% sure determination on the sexes. Supposedly had a couple pair, but never noticed any type of pairing/spawning rituals.

Ken

Borked

5 Year Member
Hey all,

Just to give a bit of a follow up on my experience with keeping C. Compressiceps. I kept the pike from september through early december in my 75gal "community" dwarf tank.

The single unsexed pike took well to the tank although the adult male A. Viejita didn't like it and pushed it around for a couple of days but they ended up sharing the space. I witnessed the pike turn on the Viejita on the 3rd or 4th day and from that day forward the Viejita kept his distance.

When my (now dead for unknown reasons, more on this in another thread) trio of D. filamentosa spawned in the tank, the smallest female gave the pike a run for his money. It was the only fish that was that was able to chace, catch, and do harm to the pike.

I took the pike into the lfs that I work at for a customer of mine who has been wanting one that has been QT'd and grown for a while. It was placed in a tank with several similar sized nicarguence and immediatly pushed them to the mid water while it took over the bottom of the tank. The pike was purchaced a day or two later and is happy as a clam now.

My keeping of a dwarf pike was a good experience that started with a few frayed fins but ended up well.

-Kyle

Neil

C. compressiceps can be one tough little pike in a small package. They are more interested in killing conspecifics than anyone else in the tank, but I would be messing with them, if I were a small female dicrossus 8O .
Glad things are working out well with your pikes. they are one of the smallest pikes and very nice-looking, but can be pretty mean IME.
Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….