• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crenicichla compressiceps

esarkipato

5 Year Member
Hi all brand new to the forum, reason being is that I just inherited a Crenicichla compressiceps along with it's 29g planted tank . The current inhabitants are:

-Blue gourami (4")
-3 red tetras
-1 rosy barb
-2 flying fox
-2 clown loach.

I am looking for stocking ideas for this tank. I would like to remove basically all inhabitants sparing the pike, and was thinking about 3-4 Botia Lohachata as mates.

Any ideas/comments/criticisms? I'm pretty new to cichlids, only kept angels and green spotted puffers so far!

Thanks, Ernie

PS anyone EVER successfully breed these guys in a 29?

Apistt_ed

Hello Ernie,

aside from Crenicichla regani (one of the most peaceful of dwarf pikes), of the dwarf pikes, C. compressiceps can be a nasty tankmate to everything that may inhabit the tank with it. I know of a few people who have spawned them in a 30 gal breeder, but I personally think it's a bit risky. They are intolerant of other pikes until they do pair off and even then it's still pretty tough to keep them in a tank that size. I would suggest nothing smaller than a 70 gallon for a pair. As long as the tankmates are larger... and I mean far larger, there shouldn't be too many problems at all. If you have more than one fish and they haven't paired off or if you have a pair that is still young, have plenty of hiding places (i.e. caves, rocks, plants) so the more passive fish can escape the confrontations. I have seen many fish die from aggression of the other fish, usually the larger fish will be more aggressive.

Feeding can come in many forms from earthworms, cut into bitesized morsels, brine shrimp, daphnia, and flakes. I usually try live foods first and see how they react to it then attempt to switch them over to flakes but this process can take a while till they accept it fully.

I would advise not keeping barbs or tetras with them as they will soon perish from the temper of the crenicichla. and water parameters should reflect that of its natural habitat, soft & acidic water. They are beautiful fish... and from your pictures, either its a well fed specimen or a female. I've found sexing them can be difficult to say the least until they have spawned. They are some of the "tougher" cichlids to keep but with a little research and careful planning of the tank, they shouldn't give you too much trouble and can easily become a favorite!
Best of luck and keep us posted of conditions.

john

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….