• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

40GAL Blackwater Biotope

Crazygar

5 Year Member
First, I can't find a place to "journal" our (my Girlfriend and I) Blackwater Biotope tank, if there is a better place, can one of the Mods please put this there? Now, on with the journal.

We (my Girlfriend and I) like trying different things. We have between the two of us; 1 X 75GAL (soon to be Loach Tank), 1 X 70GAL (High Tech Planted), 1 X 55GAL (current Loach Tank), 1 X 53GAL Custom (empty, soon to be Paludarium), 1 X 40GAL (this Journal, Blackwater Biotope), 2 X 20GAL (1 housing a Tiger Salamander, 1 housing a quasi-South American Tank), 1 X 15GAL Tall (empty), 1 X 10GAL (Guppy Tank) and.... 1 X 5GAL Tank (Quarantine Tank). Bringing us to a whopping total of 10 tanks (whom needs MTS when you have a Girlfriend into Aquariums as well)!!!

With the sheer amount of different things, we decided that a Predatory, Blackwater Biotope would be a good idea. Having no plants in it (minus floating), we figured this would add some variety to our ever growing collection of different Aquariums.

We recently purchased the 40GAL (Orient140 from AA-Aquariums) which comes with built in 2 X 13W T5 Lighting, Hermetically sealed Tray Filtration, Built in Canopy and Stand. It's obvious this is a European model and we are finding it far superior to some of the kits we have found here in Canada or the US.

The dimensions of the tank are 29.5" long X 17.75" wide X 17.50" tall. Its a perfect aquarium for our latest project.

newtankpic1.jpg

The tank empty with just a sample piece of wood in it.

Our first and foremost idea was what fish? This is why I've been asking about Crenicichla regani. We find this a pleasing size and habits to what we want. Looking at a backup plan we have discussed;

> Dicrossus filamentosus
> Taeniacara candidi
> Apistogramma (not sure which ones)

These fish, of course are if the C.regani fall through, but we are going to be searching high and low for these fish. I expect to put them into the tank closer to the fall (where we live, would be around August).

We searched the Internet and did tons of research on Blackwater Biotopes. Combined with my travels to South America, the pieces fit together rather quickly. Sand, Wood, Leaf Litter, a few rocks and floating plants. Tannin stained waters can be achieved with Peat in the filter, and the decaying leaves in the tank.

We also plan to use RO Water for the tank to help soften things a bit, but use about 20% treated tap water to keep some buffer and minerals in the water.

Over the weekend, Soul Hugger (my Girlfriend), Cassie (my 9yr old Daughter) and myself went for a walk along the South Saskatchewan River looking for interesting pieces of wood. We found tons. Also, stashed, is a nice big piece that will be used in the Loach Tank Project (75GAL) in the later part of the year.

P4170176.jpg

P4170177.jpg

Soul-Hugger collecting some wood along the shores of the South Saskatchewan

P4170178.jpg

My Daughter Cassie hamming it up for the Camera (as usual)

P4200190.jpg

Cycled with the wood just haphazardly thrown in. We managed to purchase two nice pieces of Java Wood (Bird Perches) for the Aquarium. The larger piece we have it setup as a "root" coming down from the top left back corner.

P4200191.jpg

A clearer pic of the Java Wood. This stuff is really nice and browns up quick in the aquarium. Though I have a feeling it will take a while for it to get water logged.

Two larger pieces of "darker" wood we purchased at local Pet Stores to help with adding tannins to the tank. So far, they have worked out fine and done a great job on starting with the water staining process.

The game plan was that I was supposed to get my order of Apistogramma velifera today and we were going to use the 40GAL (which has been matured from bio from all of our other tanks) as a holding tank until I get my 70GAL back up and running (moving takes its toll on a Planted Tank).... but the order arrived totally DOA so no Apistos.

Discouraged, we decided, what the heck, lets start up the 40GAL today. We purchased a 50lb bag of Silica Sand (Sil#8) for $10 Canadian. Its a lovely Brown colour and nice sized granules that feel like the stuff I have encounted in the Rainforest Rivers.

P4200192.jpg

Silica #8

P4200195.jpg

P4200196.jpg

What the granules look like. Its turns a nice brown colour (with small red and white flecks in it) underwater! Woo-hoo!

After dumping about 1/2 a bag (25lb) we decided we didn't need a deep sandy substrate. Heck, we never even bothered with smoothing it out, in nature, sand rarely comes smoothed out nicely. We then repositioned some wood and started to figure out a final Aquascape...

P4200193.jpg

The collection of wood that has a destiny in the tank.

P4200198.jpg

No matter how much you rinse, you always get a sand cloud

P4200203.jpg

A good start to Aquascaping with no plants. This is gonna be weird.

P4200204.jpg

Definitely room for improvement, but not much.

P4200205.jpg

Starting to fill up and of course, 3/4 of the wood will not sink. I guess we are going to have to let it happen over the course of time. We have the time and patience for it. No point rushing when you'll regret something later.

P4200210.jpg

Everything floats! Well almost everything. The small twig I pushed in the substrate has stayed put. Weird.

P4200211.jpg

What it currently looks like. Still settling, wood still floating, but showing some promise.

As I look over at the tank, I can see it has cleared up to the point I can almost see the other side. Whew. This is our plans for the tank for future reference (and see if we can stick to it, though between the two of us being purists, I can't foresee a problem)...

Fauna;

Silver Hatchetfish (Gasteropelecus sternicla) or Spotted Hatchetfish (Gasteropelecus maculatus) - Unknown numbers at this time

1 X High-Fin Pleco (AKA "King") (Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps), which currently resides in our 55GAL Loach Tank

Flora;

Floating Water Sprite (Ceratopteris)

As you can see the setup is going to be quite simple. We are going to add one my submersible heaters to the tank and rid ourselves of those horrible suction cup monsters that seem to plague my world.

We have some other pieces of nice wood in our 20GAL Quasi-South American tank which might find their way to this tank. Since we plan to rehome all the fish (and plants) to my 70GAL High-Tech, this will "free up" the 20GAL. :D

Stay tuned for updates. Thanks for reading and keep watching...

Gary

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Tank sure has cleared up. Here is a shot of it as of the evening;

P4210215.jpg

The water is now considered "clear" and ready for business. We've seeded it big time with water from all the other tanks we keep so for bio, its rocking. I've also fed the "invisible" fish to keep the bio going in the absence of fish.

Received more information on the Dwarf Cichlid biotope from someone whom has collected there, so we are doing our usual tweaks and counter-tweaks to compensate for the new information. From my source, Hatchets were not found with Dwarf Pikes. This is rather disappointing, as we really wanted these fish for the top level of the tank and to serve as dithers.

I believe I have secured some Tank raised (currently fry) C.regani only 6hrs west of my location. This is good. Makes travelling less brutal. Overall, its now time for the tank to settle. We plan to move them in August. This gives us a lot of time to let the tank mature and come up to speed.

Current conditions;

pH: 6.3
Temp: 27°C or 80°F
Alk: 120ppm

Bottled Water (RO) will help bring down the Alkalinity of the water and hopefully get it more "softer" where things are good. We have time to experiment to find the proper ratio of RO and Tap mix.

Gary

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't know about C. regani, but TomC and I collected hatchetfishes together with juvenile specimens of a larger Crenicichla species in Peru. I see no problem putting hatchets in with C. regani. If you truly want an exact biotope for dwarf pikes, the tank will look very ugly indeed! Very few plants other than algae covered wood and layers of decaying leaves.

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Ugly is a matter of perspective (or depends if its light or not).

Most of the Pikes I've captured in Bolivia always had Hatchets (Black Wing, Silver and Marbled) in with the catches. Problem is that C.regani is from Brazil.

I would be safe to say, that yes, there will be hatchets in the area or locality of these fish. Besides, they'd fill the top niche nice.

As for the algae covered wood and leaf litter, I love that look. the more natural, the better not only for appeasing our eyes but for the fish.

Gary

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Quick update, scored two bags of Indian Almond Leaves for the tank for $10! Wow, that's cheap and its local! Even better. Waiting for the person to contact me and I should have some new pics tonight of the water a bit more tannin stained.

Also added some floating Water Sprite into the fry to help move things along.

Gary

Crazygar

5 Year Member
No pics as of yet. My Girlfriend had her wisdom teeth pulled yesterday and Aquariums are the last thing on our minds. Though the water in the tank is sparking clear, the wood (some pieces) are starting to slowly sink and I managed to get a bag of Oak Leaves (picking these up Sunday) for the tank as well.

We'll keep a mix of Almond and Oak leaves in the tank. Another boost for the bio and help move it along.

We figured out what was missing; small twigs and branches. We are going to search for dry wood (quite easy around here) for the final touches and I think this should take care of the wood aspect of the Aquascape. We might just let the floating wood sink and wherever they land, is where they stay. Looks like "manufactured" that way.

I will get some pics for this evening.

Gary

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….