• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crenicichla compressiceps

blueblue

5 Year Member
Crenicichla compressiceps: It is a species that i have been searching for a long time!! i finally found this fish in the local market yesterday and acquired a few home... does anybody know the tricks on how to differentiate the male and the female? According to Romer's Cichlid Atlas I, sexing this species is quite difficult and the best method is to observe their behaviour (which is quite impossible as they were kept in a tank with such a high density that no fish would behave normally!!)... So, i bought 4, two small and two big, and hope that i would have at least a pair... they look very interesting to me :)

cc01a_155.jpg

cc02_541.jpg

retro_gk

5 Year Member
Males have striated ends to their dorsal and anal fins. Quite distinct when you know what to look for and the fish are not stressed.

blueblue

5 Year Member
retro_gk said:
Males have striated ends to their dorsal and anal fins. Quite distinct when you know what to look for and the fish are not stressed.
right!! After reading the Aqualog's photos... i see what you mean!! Thanks a lot for the nice tips :)

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
My way of sexing and it has not failed me yet is to look at the caudel fin if the lines are constant and not broken its a male. The first fish is a female the other I cant tell but may be a male.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Peter Lovett1 said:
My way of sexing and it has not failed me yet is to look at the caudel fin if the lines are constant and not broken its a male. The first fish is a female the other I cant tell but may be a male.

Thanks much Peter for another great tip. Yes, both tips are consistent and i am very confident of sexing this fish now. You two have helped me a lot!! :)

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
No trouble BB

I have just had a box of 60 come in this week so it would seem they are availible again. I like them and are really nice looking when they have settled in.This time i will keep a group of at least 10 fish for breeding. In my last box of 60 I only kept one pair because the female had a Orange instead of a Yellow dorsal. Unfortunatly she killed the male I had put with her even though he was the larger fish and I lost her about 4 weeks before getting this shipment which is a real shame. However I am glad to say that there is at least one female with an Orange dorsal in my new batch. I have not yet seem a male with this colour.

Its also great watching 60 of them eat as a cube of blue worm is gone in seconds in a mass of fish. They use a strike and twist a little like sharks.

What size tank do you have them in and how is the agression?

blueblue

5 Year Member
Sharks!! hehe.. yes, i agree with you that a group of this kind of
interesting "zebra Crenicichla" eat like sharks!! :)

For the orange dorsal fin you mentioned, it is interesting.. let me see if i could find this kind in the vendor later on today. By the way, do you have a pic to show us this kind of specimen?

I am keeping the fish in a 20 litre q-tank... i am planning to keep them in a community tank of 200 liter water, together with some mixed apistos, in 1-2 weeks :)

Peter Lovett1 said:
No trouble BB

I have just had a box of 60 come in this week so it would seem they are availible again. I like them and are really nice looking when they have settled in.This time i will keep a group of at least 10 fish for breeding. In my last box of 60 I only kept one pair because the female had a Orange instead of a Yellow dorsal. Unfortunatly she killed the male I had put with her even though he was the larger fish and I lost her about 4 weeks before getting this shipment which is a real shame. However I am glad to say that there is at least one female with an Orange dorsal in my new batch. I have not yet seem a male with this colour.

Its also great watching 60 of them eat as a cube of blue worm is gone in seconds in a mass of fish. They use a strike and twist a little like sharks.

What size tank do you have them in and how is the agression?

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
High BB

You have to remember these fish only came in on tuesday and have only really started feeding today and have they fed. Betwean them they have eaten 10 cubes of blood worm.

crenfemaleorange.jpg

A female with an orange dorsal not as orange as my last fish.

crenmale.jpg

Did you go down to the store to look and did you have any luck.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks Peter for the pics. The fish look beautiful and are in very good shape :) By the way, do you also import other dwarf Crenicichla?? ^.^

P.S: My plan to go out yesterday was finally called off owing
to the visits of some guys... will check again tomorrow :)

Peter Lovett1 said:
High BB

You have to remember these fish only came in on tuesday and have only really started feeding today and have they fed. Betwean them they have eaten 10 cubes of blood worm.

crenfemaleorange.jpg

A female with an orange dorsal not as orange as my last fish.

crenmale.jpg

Did you go down to the store to look and did you have any luck.

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
To be honest BB this is the only specie that i have brought in so far. Though if I see any others on the lists I will get them.

For me it is quite suprising how well they have come round in such a short time.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Peter Lovett1 said:
To be honest BB this is the only specie that i have brought in so far. Though if I see any others on the lists I will get them.

For me it is quite suprising how well they have come round in such a short time.

i see and thanks Peter. hope we will see more different species from the export list later. :)

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
So do I but I have limited number of lists and this is the only specie i have got successfully.

For me the way they feed as a group is just great and they love bloodworm tryed them on brine shimp though.

What are you feeding yours?

If i get time i will take a video of the fish feeding it's quite something to watch

blueblue

5 Year Member
Peter Lovett1 said:
So do I but I have limited number of lists and this is the only specie i have got successfully.

For me the way they feed as a group is just great and they love bloodworm tryed them on brine shimp though.

What are you feeding yours?

If i get time i will take a video of the fish feeding it's quite something to watch

Video!! Great and i am looking forward to it :)

I feed mine with freshly hatched bbs.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….