• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Agassizi fire red sexing

Lene

Can anyone help me?

I bought these two from my local pet store as a pair, however they seem to behave more as if they’re the same sex, one more dominant than the other. The lighter one is slightly smaller and the less dominant one.

IMG_0923.jpeg
IMG_0878.jpeg

MacZ

This domestic form has been bred to show uniform colouration and fins. Basically, before they reach a certain maturity and the males start growing bigger than the females there is no way of absolutly certain sexing. That's at a length of roundabout 4cm upwards.

Please be aware: This breed is very sensitive to bacterial infections and bad water quality and aggression is high, as they can't use their colour to communicate anymore.

Lene

Thank you for your reply.

So I’ll just have to wait and see then. And will of course do my regular water changes and pay close attention to their behavior.

MacZ

My pleasure. Hope your water is soft and acidic and the tank is properly structured.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….