• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Converting setup and mixing Dwarfs

Cooder

Hey all,

I currently have a standard 4ft 200L (55gal +/-) that has been a hard water, Tanganyikan setup for about 5 years now, and i want to convert it to a soft water, planted Apisto display.
This is probably not the best section to put this thread in but anyway...
I was wondering whether i can use my existing media that has been in used in hard water for so long, or do i have to change media to avoid buffering the soft water up? I use rain water.

I plan to purchase another canister to double the filtration, so would like to use the current media to help seed the new media, but i'm unsure to whether it will affect the water parameters.

Also, can i mix 2 pairs/trios of 2 different apisto species in a tank of that size, along with tetras/pencilfish, catties without consequences? My preferred looking species are agassizi, bitaeniata, trifacs, macmasteri and inka 50/baenschi, and i have had good experience with agas in a 2ft (there would be lots more that i would love to keep but these are just a few :D)
I wasnt going for a breeding setup, more an aquascaped display for the living room.

Also, could i perhaps keep 2 or 3 pterophyllum altums with the dwarfs for the mid water or would they be a bit too aggressive?

Im also interested in a dwarf species different to apistogramma but im not sure what is available and readily shipped in Australia. I really like the look of D. filamentosus for example....
I havent done much research on other dwarfs so forgive me, haha...

regani

5 Year Member
I would change to new media and also scrub the tank with vinegar or citric acid. Those alkaline salts, especially the carbonates can be very persistent and affect your pH and conductivity for a long time. Better to get it right from the start rather than having to battle it afterwards.
As long as you don't want to breed your fish the mix seems ok. There will be conflict between the apistos and corydoras, but with sufficient floor space and cover that should be ok.
For a mix of apistos pick different body shape and finnage/coloration and you should be ok.
Other dwarfs available here are dicrossus, laetacara, microgeophagus, nannacara - which exact species varies a bit

Cooder

Thanks for the tips. I would like them to breed, because that's most of the fun with Cichlids, watching breeding behaviour. Im just not bothered with keeping and raising all the fry.

I really like the look of Ivanacara adoketa, so if they are available to ship to me they are an option. Could i have a pair/group of them with a pair of apistos?

About to go searching for info on these...

Thanks

regani

5 Year Member
You picked a species there that is not easy to keep. They require really soft, low TDS and clean water. If you don't have that much experience with soft water fish, I would probably pick another species for the tank. They are really expensive here as well...

The Nannacara species are similar, with the female also showing black and white breeding colours and the males metallic colours, depending a bit on which species.
Laetacara are also a bit easier to find and keep.

I can point you to some shops who keep those dwarfs, send me a pm if you want more info

Cooder

Thanks and yeh after a bit of snooping it seems like they aren't what im after for this tank. I might put the idea of different dwarfs aside for a bit and focus on apistos.
The idea of having 2 males and 4 females seems appealing, im just not sure whether it would cause territorial problems. The particular species depends on what is available at the time and pricing etc. I will probably be getting my stock from Jodie at FishChicks.
Im also planning on using ama amazonia aquasoil as i have had good experiences with that, and maybe a fine river gravel... not sure yet.

Any more tips?

regani

5 Year Member
PM sent

The soil will help to keep the pH down but it will also leach nutrients into the water, raising the conductivity - how much, I am not sure, it should be ok for for most soft water species as many people seem to have success using that type of soil. You will just have to keep areas of soil and sand (better than fine gravel) separate, otherwise the sand will always make its way to the bottom, leaving only the soil on top.

Cooder

My Agas bred like rabbits when i had aquasoil, rainwater and almond leaves, so i would consider that "success". Would lots of plants process the nutrients that raise conductivity?

What i call "fine river gravel" is more coarse sand in size and texture, its in the creeks and streams around my area.

regani

5 Year Member
Yep, plants will take up the majority of the nutrients (provided there is enough light and CO2). You can always check with a TDS or conductivity meter (they are quite cheap).
Sand should be fine enough for the fish to pick up, munch on and spit out/pass out through the gills. Anything that fits that description will help the apistos to show natural behaviour. There also seems to be some (anecdotal?) evidence that it helps them to stay healthy.

regani

5 Year Member
I wouldn't have more than two pairs or maybe trios in the tank as there will already be competition for space from the other fish in the tank.
With trios it will get more tricky with territories, unless you find a way to persuade each apisto species to settle in one side of the tank. Maybe a divider for the first week or two would work?

Cooder

How about same species? I guess it depends but as i said in my original post, im mainly interested in A. agassizii, A. bitaeniata, A trifaciata and A baenschi to name a few. There are of course many others i would keep other than those...

regani

5 Year Member
You could perhaps fit 3-4 females an two males of one species into a tank that size. You may have to rearrange the decor a couple of times to find a setup where the territories are evenly distributed throughout the tank.
I'd throw in a few pieces of floating pipe to start with to provide spaces for save retreat until things settle down.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….