• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Community tank breeding.

Hellfishguy

5 Year Member
I've somehow manages to raise up a good number of Apistogramma ortegai in a community tank containing cardinals, gold laser cories etc. The parents did an exemplary job keeping the other fish at bay. It IS possible, but I wouldn't recommend it.

DSCN3949.JPG

Hellfishguy

5 Year Member
I couldn't resist the opportunity to obtain a pair of ortegai despite the lack of a proper breeding tank, so I made due with what I could during the lockdown. Some of the fry may have been picked off by the cardinals, but I never caught them in the act. They eventually learned not to venture anywhere near the babies. The Corydoras, as usual, learned nothing.

The young fish are all from the same brood. Will the smaller ones catch up to their larger siblings?

yukondog

5 Year Member
What type of floaters do you have on the top, and what type of rizone plant do you have at the bottom.

Will the smaller ones catch up to their larger siblings?

Every batch I have runts, I have about 50 or so fry from Cacs., Hongsloi and viejita, some are about 1 1/4" and others only about 3/8" at four and half mo. old, you could try and remove the larger ones and do a good water change and the smaller ones won't need to compete for food as much.

Hellfishguy

5 Year Member
What type of floaters do you have on the top, and what type of rizone plant do you have at the bottom.
The floaters are common & lace leaf water sprite; the rhizome is Anubias barteri.

Every batch I have runts, I have about 50 or so fry from Cacs., Hongsloi and viejita, some are about 1 1/4" and others only about 3/8" at four and half mo. old, you could try and remove the larger ones and do a good water change and the smaller ones won't need to compete for food as much.
I have a cacatuoides brood with much greater size differences than the ortegai. Some are close to 2" while others are about the size of a month old fry. I stepped up water changes & removed the larger ones, but I'm begnning to think that they're permanently stunted.

yukondog

5 Year Member
I know what you mean, I sitting here looking at my Cac. fry tank on the desk, they were born on 3/19/20 the largest is a male about 1 1/4" and some of the runts are about the size of a very small guppy. Anything over 1/2" will be coming out today and go to another tank for further grow out. I seem to have more runts with this batch than normal, too much inbreeding down the line maybe.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
What type of floaters do you have on the top and what type of rizone plant do you have at the bottom.
The top plants are Ceratopteris "cornuta", and the rhizome plant in the photo is Anubias barteri.

They are both really good plants for an Apistogramma tank.

cheers Darrel

yukondog

5 Year Member
I have F1 Hongsloi, F1 Viejitas and Macs. I breed, the same thing I always get runts in every batch of whatever, weather it's angles,kribs, apistos, BN or ect., it's this batch of Cacs. that I seem to get more than normal runts.

Hellfishguy

5 Year Member
Hi all,The top plants are Ceratopteris "cornuta", and the rhizome plant in the photo is Anubias barteri.

They are both really good plants for an Apistogramma tank.

cheers Darrel
Most of the floaters are Ceratopteris siliquosa, AKA lace leaf water sprite. The structure of the leaves doesn't cut off as much light as common water sprite, plus they also look great planted in the substrate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….