• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Common names????

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
I got a list from a wholesaler and it has some common names that I can not cross to scientific names. I searched the net but came up empty handed. Mikes list on another site cleared up about half of them.

Ambiacus, Daniella, Diamond, Diego, Esmerald, Gosey, Imperial, Jordani, Kiko, Laulate, Marine, Narro, Napoensis, Pevas, Pucapuru, Purutu, Proteus, Sanchez, Shushupe.

I hate that they cant seem to get the names correct. Any ideas Mike?

Chris

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Shushupe-it's a variety of A. bitaeniata

Are you sure all of those are types of Apistogramma? A name that jumps out at me "Daniella" is a genus of tiny glass minnows found in Asia.

Jeff

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
These are all commercial names. They remind me of names used by the Panduro family. Many I have never heard of before. My guess is that most are fish that commonly appear in the hobby, but given new names because they come from a different location or didn't sell well under older commerical names. That said, here are some guesses - but not guarantees:

The following are rivers: Ambiacus, Napoensis (Napo), Pucapuru, Purutu, Shushupe - some are from the Napo system, others from the Ampiyacu (as is Pevas = Pebas). Most of these will probably be a form of A. bitaeniata. "Pevas" usually is a mix of A. sp. Pebas, the less colorful form of A. sp. Papagei, and the Ampiyacu form of A. sp. Putumayo. "Diamond" (?= Diamante??) is probably A. sp. Schwarzkinn/Black-chin. "Gosey" is usually a form of A. cf. eunotus. "Laulate" (if I recall correctly) turned out to be a less colorful form of A. sp. Papagei. "Marine", (if I recall correctly) is a cruzi-like form, probably A. sp. Nanay. I don't recall the other names. Aren't commercial names just "wonderful"?

Gillie

5 Year Member
We have been seeing quite a bit of fish around here being sold as A sp. Diamond and Algodon sp. Diamond . Both are the same fish and look very similar to the Galaxis that are going around in this area. Which disappointed me a bit when I called the store to see what they had and then made the 40 mile trip for a fish that wasn't Eremnopyge. I really hate common names they can really screw things up sometimes.

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
I hate em too. They do have their up side, sometimes fish that show up in a store with the common name are a real gem. I just got a steal on Apistogramma Norberti that were labled as "Apisto enoats" Thats one more fish off my want list. The place that had them was kind of a gold mine in the mislabled/misidentified mixed up sort of way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….