• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cockatoo Babies

Uppy

5 Year Member
Hello! I have just been able to save a few eggs from my pairs last batch, and they hatched! I only got 5 wigglers but they are in their own 5G with a sponge filter. They are growing and have regular movement. Their eyes have started to develope now. I am just wondering when I need to start feeding them with something other than their egg sack. There is very little of it left, but they are not free swimming yet. I am sure the chances are slim for them, but I would like to try! Please respond with any and all tips, tricks and comments you might have as I am a "Little Wiggler" to the hobby myself, 4-5 months now:eek: :wink: :confused: Thanks!!! Jason.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Start feeding only when they can swim on their own. Best starter foods are live foods (baby brine shrimp or microworms). If you can't get these, try frozen baby brine, cyclops-eze, or rotifers. Least likely to succeed, but still possible, is finely powdered dry food. A little food goes a long ways. Make sure you clean up any left over foods or put in some Brazilian Rams Horn snails as cleaners. Good luck.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Live plants out of another aquarium, preferably your own to reduce the risk of bringing in unknown critters, is also a great way to provide microfoods for baby fish. I like to pull a little bit of Java Moss from an established "forest" and drop it in the dish/tank with most of my fry. This way there is a good steady supply of morsels for the fish to munch on for the first few days.

Often young fish start eating, or at leat picking at, a small amount of food before their egg yolks are completely comnsumed. I find that having some non water fouling foods present early on gets me a much higher success rate with small fry then just a few feedings with baby brine shrimp, microworms, or the like alone.

Jeff

beleg

5 Year Member
Apple Snails also help. They eat up the excess food and they are said to provide a lot of protozoa for the fry when fed on green vegetables. I always have some in my breeding tanks.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macmasterman

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(