• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cleaning FIlters with Tap Water

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hello All,

I have read and heard of various conflicting reports on cleaning filter spunges with tap water and that this kills the bacteria. They recommend using old tank water. What are your thoughts ? cheers jk :cool:

Rod

5 Year Member
Fact.....

Bacteria develop a biofilm to protect themselves.....if a well establish sponge is quickly washed in tap water some bacteria will be killed but the colony wont
and bacteria will quickly regenerate once exposed to it's food source

Having said that I find it easy to empty water from tank into a bucket during a water change and clean sponge in that water

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree completely, Rod. The only way to completely kill a bacterial culture in a sponge is to leave it in a bleach bath of a while (1/2 hour) or microwave it until it steams. I, too, rinse my sponges in old tank water - unless I need to actually sterilize the sponge. Old tank water, in which establish sponges have been flushed, is an excellent way to inoculate new sponges. Just stir up the 'muck' and run the new sponge filter in it for an hour or so. Rinse out the excess dirt and ... presto! established sponge filter. No need to cycle the tank.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Got to agree with both of the above guys. High chlorine levels might knock it back but they won't kill it off unless they are at toxic levels! I clean biological media in aquarium water but always clean sponges in tap water as it's so much more convenient.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I use warm running tap water. I have a piece of 1" pvc with slots cut into it (many) that hooks onto the faucet that a hydrosponge slips onto. The end of the pvc has a cap. When the faucet is turned on the water is forced through the sponge from the inside. A few squeezes and the sponge is clean. I use warm water because around here the cold water is very, very cold.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Must admit I do the same, just wash the sponges out in tap water (warm added in the winter). I used to be really careful about always using old tank water, but I noticed that if I put Daphnia into our tap water, even over-night, they seemed totally unharmed, and after a bit of thought I came to the same conclusion, that the risk of accidently "sterilising" the sponge with tap water was less than nil.

cheers Darrel

Bilbo

5 Year Member
Me too. Warm tap water or garden hose.
If I am storing a sponge or not using it for a while then I will also microwave it and clean it thoroughly.
They are kind of expensive so it pays to take care of them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….