• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Clay pots. High fired glaze or not glazed.

Fishy Eds

I need some info on using clay pots in my aquariums. I make pottery and am returning to the aquarium hobby after a long time away. I made a bunch of breeding/hiding caves yesterday in the shape of an inverted bowl. I put entrance about 1/2 inch off bottom of cave and didn't put a floor in the cave. My question is should I glaze and high fire the pots or should I just use as is after bisque firing. My intentions are to set up a couple of dwarf pairs for breeding. Any opinions/advise totally welcome.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
.Low fire is fine. I definitely would not use a glazed piece only because I would not know what is in the glaze. Most hobbyist use simple clay flower posts or tubes also used for breeding loricarids.

Fishy Eds

Thanks Mike. Only reason I asked was I use high fire clay and glaze fire to cone 10(2400 degrees). Glazes are all food safe. I dont use red clays, so my clay is a very light beigy pinkish color similar to sand. Just wanted my tank to look good, I guess.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….