• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Christmas came early this year

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It appears that Christmas came a bit early this year. So far I’ve had 4 females bring out fry this week:

upload_2014-12-19_16-23-58.png

A. cf. payaminoni (Pantoja)

upload_2014-12-19_16-24-47.png

A. cf. cacauoides (Putumayo/Estrecho), a very different form in which the female shows a broad ventral stripe between the ventral fins and the start of the anal fin.

upload_2014-12-19_16-25-34.png

A. sp. Wangenflecken

upload_2014-12-19_16-26-7.png

A. bitaeniata (Río Tigre) F3 from male in my avatar.

I also have a batch of A. cf. payaminonis (Pantoja), A. sp. Wangenflecken, and 2 batches of A. cf. luelingi (Cristal) already in grow-out tanks. I think I’ll need to set up some more grow-out tank soon.

Teodor Macovei

Nice, seems like you have been very good this year. I must've been really bad since my F1(000) red agassizii female just ate her eggs for the 4th time today...

Ttw

5 Year Member
Have you noticed that your apistos spawn when storms come through? Over the years it has seemed that I get more spawns during the winter storms.

Tom C

5 Year Member
Good work, Mike!
And good to see some pictures from you too!
(although you could have adjusted the white balance "slightly" :) )

I got fry from a few species too, just in time for Christmas:

A. viejita (Wild, true):
resizeimage.aspx

A. eremnopyge (wild):
resizeimage.aspx

A. sp. "Cruzeiro/Jurua":
resizeimage.aspx

A. piaroa (Puerto Inirida, Colombia):
resizeimage.aspx

(This is the good looking father) :
resizeimage.aspx

A. agassizii (Rio Tahuayo)
It will be interesting to see if all the offsprings will look like their father:
resizeimage.aspx

In addition: fry from A. sp. "Scwarzkehl", A. sp. "Abacaxis", Biotoecus sp., and from Pyrrhulina australis, Copella nattereri, Copella callolepis, Copella compta, Nannostomus nitidus, Nannostomus marginatus (Colombia), Nannostomus marginatus (Rio Shishita, Peru), Nannostomus eques (Peru), Nannostomus harrisoni, Nannostomus mortenthaleri, Nannostomus espei, and Nannostomus rubrocaudatus.

Last edited:

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Tom.... how are the Copella vilmae you brought back doing? I am finding the fish to be very hardy, but also very aggressive. Any spawning from yours?

Tom C

5 Year Member
Unfortunately, the same as yours. Only aggressiveness, not even pre-spawning behavior, so far.

rr16

5 Year Member
No exciting apisto fry here, just domestic strains of A. agassizi and A. cacatuoides (but the A. agassizi fry have disappeared!). I have had my Nannostomus eques spawn today (only rescued 2 eggs so far!) and my Copella sp. (still not sure if eigenmanni or compta or something else!) have spawned twice where I've managed to save eggs - about 20-30 eggs in each spawn so far but there's only one female.

john krol

It appears that Christmas came a bit early this year. So far I’ve had 4 females bring out fry this week:

View attachment 4149
A. cf. payaminoni (Pantoja)

View attachment 4150
A. cf. cacauoides (Putumayo/Estrecho), a very different form in which the female shows a broad ventral stripe between the ventral fins and the start of the anal fin.

View attachment 4151
A. sp. Wangenflecken

View attachment 4152
A. bitaeniata (Río Tigre) F3 from male in my avatar.

I also have a batch of A. cf. payaminonis (Pantoja), A. sp. Wangenflecken, and 2 batches of A. cf. luelingi (Cristal) already in grow-out tanks. I think I’ll need to set up some more grow-out tank soon.
Some awsome sp. mike !!! did you make another collecting trip ??? I restarted the bsmt fish rm 3 mos ago & am back w/apistos, 16 sp. so far 3 w fsf gropped the ball on an Ortegai spawning (Roca Eterna) I think Some sp. too young for breeding, but im patient !!!!! So far commbrae,macmasteri, norberti fsf . more to come wout a doubt!!!! Norberti puts me at 71 sp, bred &soon raised.!!! After 37 years as an apistophile i may actually make the 2015 ACA convention!!!!! While most of the sp are a redo. some are new to me!!!!

Imrahil

5 Year Member
Wonderful fishes and pictures. Thank you. Mike, would it be possible to post a picture of the male A. cf. payaminonis?

Imrahil

5 Year Member
I should have read more carefully the posts above. I realize it is not the cf. payaminonis Tom collected recently far south in the Rio Purus drainage.

Anyway thank you very much Mike, it is not frequent to see good pictures of this taxon. It's a fantastic fish and I hope it will come out in France in the future... A long time we wait for that...

rr16

5 Year Member
Ooh, this is nice! I Like this group of fish. Interesting to see that the orange caudal marginal band runs into the caudal extensions in a lyre-tailed form as opposed to arond the edge in A. panduro and A. nijsseni with their truncate(?) tails.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Tom's fish from the Peruvian part of the Rio Purus is not a nijsseni-group species, like this species. It is a cacatuoides-group species. This is a fish that is not commercially collected (yet). It could be because Albertino was with Tom, Julio Melgar and me when we discovered it. The problem is that it is so far from collecting stations that it would be too costly to collect, return and sell for a reasonable price.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….