• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Caudal Fin Development in Double Red Aggies

tjd

5 Year Member
I have a brood of double red aggies that are over 6 months old and 2.5+" in length. Of the remaining 11 males there are 7 that developed the pronounced spade like shape in the caudal fin 2 to 3 months ago, the remaining have varying degrees of roundness to their fin. All have dorsal fins that reach almost to the back of the caudal fin.

Does anyone know what is the reason for the difference in the caudal fin shape? Genetics, dominance, or something else? The males with the spade like fin tend to be a little more aggressive. The females also attempt to mate with them more so.

Thanks,
Tom

fishgeek

sounds like it maybe a testosterone thing, just from your description

my aggies in growout never seem to have more than 1 or 2 obvious males , then when i remove theose males new ones seem to appear, perhaps the round tail is part of the sneaker male look

andrew

tjd

5 Year Member
Hey thanks. I have heard of Discus giving off hormones that inhibit the growth of smaller fish.

I'll try separating out some of the males and see what happens. Good to hear that someone else has experienced this as well.

Tom

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loscide

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….