• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cacautoides Help !

amber2461

5 Year Member
Hi

I need help with the setting up of a 10 gallon tank. My son brought back a trio of Apistogramma Cacautoides (1 male and 2 female).

I have a spare 10 gallon tank with some medium sized gravel and a sponge pump running.

I would appreciate it if someone would tell me what are the water parameters needed for the fishes (they are now still sitting in a bucket) so that I can adjust the waters accordingly tonight and hopefully by tomorrow, they can be moved into the tank.

There is only an amazon sword plant in the tank and I plan to get some claypots but am unsure how many to get.

Thanks in advance for the incoming advise(s) and hope that I didn't ask silly questions pertaining to this.

:oops:

mervin

5 Year Member
CACAs are very adaptable fishes, spawned them before in Ph 7.6,
howver a Ph about 6.8 or lower is ideal.

there should not be any trouble cos there is only one male however if they spawn.....the other female should be remove to prevent stress.

i prefer plants or wood cover rather then rocks or pots cos they look more nature and pleasing to the eyes.

i do not know how are plants sold over there in Vancouver but here in Singapore we have ferns or nanas sold attached to pieces of wood and i normally just fill the whole tank up wth these.
lots of hiding places and these plants are very hardy that they do not need CO2 and i never add fert

good luck !!!!

ps: how are the moss doing ???

amber2461

5 Year Member
mervin said:
CACAs are very adaptable fishes, spawned them before in Ph 7.6,
howver a Ph about 6.8 or lower is ideal.

there should not be any trouble cos there is only one male however if they spawn.....the other female should be remove to prevent stress.

i prefer plants or wood cover rather then rocks or pots cos they look more nature and pleasing to the eyes.

i do not know how are plants sold over there in Vancouver but here in Singapore we have ferns or nanas sold attached to pieces of wood and i normally just fill the whole tank up wth these.
lots of hiding places and these plants are very hardy that they do not need CO2 and i never add fert

good luck !!!!

ps: how are the moss doing ???

Hey MErvin

Thanks for the speedy reply .. . what is the ready of your gh and kh?

Ferns I have, nanas - no ... oh well ... the moss is doing well, surviving and only time will tell if it likes it here in this country .... 8)

Cheers

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Amber,

Mervin is right about a 10 gallon being too small for 2 spawning females, but if they are young and grow mature together they might be OK for sometime. I currently have 2 pair of Orange Flash cacs in a 10 gallon with a couple pieces of driftwood and a couple coconut shell caves. So far they are doing fine but I'm not sure how much longer this will workout. I might move them to a 20 gallon when they get larger. They are mature, but still young. The females are about 1 inch and the males slightly larger.

With mine, there is 1 dominant male that bullies the 2nd male some, but it's not too bad. No injuries or even torn fins. Despite the bullying, he is still active as the dominant male doesn't bother him as long as he stays in the background. When both females have spawn there is a little more trouble between the 2 moms, but it's mostly threats and posturing with an occasional chase and nip. After a week or 2 most of the fry usually end up with the same mother. They don't usually steal each others fry, but one will slowly pick up the strays of the other.

Michael

cdawson

5 Year Member
amber2461 said:
Hi

I need help with the setting up of a 10 gallon tank. My son brought back a trio of Apistogramma Cacautoides (1 male and 2 female).

I have a spare 10 gallon tank with some medium sized gravel and a sponge pump running.

I would appreciate it if someone would tell me what are the water parameters needed for the fishes (they are now still sitting in a bucket) so that I can adjust the waters accordingly tonight and hopefully by tomorrow, they can be moved into the tank.

There is only an amazon sword plant in the tank and I plan to get some claypots but am unsure how many to get.

Thanks in advance for the incoming advise(s) and hope that I didn't ask silly questions pertaining to this.

:oops:

Just out of curiousity, where'd you buy them?

mervin

5 Year Member
hi amber,
the GH is about 1 while the Kh is about 1-2, don't really remember cos i didn't have any problems wth CACAs.

i beleve the moss should do good over there especially during the cooler months. they like cold water !!!!!!!

cdawson

5 Year Member
amber2461 said:
Vancouver Aquatic Hobbyist Club ... my son thinks that it is so kewl !

Nice, man I wish I could still go to the meetings but I work too late now. I miss the auctions =(

Post some pics if you can, I want to see what they look like.

Say, were they auctioning off any of the young from the agassiz tank at the aquarium?

amber2461

5 Year Member
mervin said:
hi amber,
the GH is about 1 while the Kh is about 1-2, don't really remember cos i didn't have any problems wth CACAs.

i beleve the moss should do good over there especially during the cooler months. they like cold water !!!!!!!

Then my water parameters shouldn't be a problem then, it reads about there.

The moss loves cold water eh? That is nice then, what is the temp in your tank where the CACAs are Mervin?

amber2461

5 Year Member
cdawson said:
Nice, man I wish I could still go to the meetings but I work too late now. I miss the auctions =(

Post some pics if you can, I want to see what they look like.

Say, were they auctioning off any of the young from the agassiz tank at the aquarium?

Sorry, I don't own any cameras of any kind. I don't know where the young ones are from, but there was at least 5 bags of different kinds of Apistogrammas and they were all mostly trios.

Cheers

mervin

5 Year Member
[/quote]

Then my water parameters shouldn't be a problem then, it reads about there.

The moss loves cold water eh? That is nice then, what is the temp in your tank where the CACAs are Mervin?[/quote]

the temp was somewhere 28'C.... i think.

it get hot here in Singapore !!!!

hahahaha !!!!!!!!!

amber2461

5 Year Member
mervin said:
the temp was somewhere 28'C.... i think.

it get hot here in Singapore !!!!

hahahaha !!!!!!!!!

Eh hem ... Mervinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

:D

I know it gets hot there ... don't need a reminder during fall here , okay?

Hehehehehe ... hoi, still waiting for you to turn up on my doorstep so that I can prepare chicken rice. Still waiting for another package though, when you gonna be at my doorstep with my package eh?

Cheers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….