• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding Microgeophagus ramirezi

Jeffrey Richard

5 Year Member
I have a group (6) of rams that I have been QTing in a 29 gallon for about a month. They seem to be mature (don't know how old they are ...). Will a pair spawn in the group setting, or would it be better to move a pair to it's own 10 gallon tank?

Cathy G

5 Year Member
They will spawn in the group tank. If you want the fry however, you'll probably have to pull the eggs. If there are lots of flat rocks and places to hide, they may even get the fry to the wiggler stage - usually though, the young rams eat the eggs.
If you go to my website and click on the aquarium link you'll find a fairly complete write up of how I raise the fry. Click on my profile to get a link to my site.
Hope you have fun with the fish,
Cathy

Jeffrey Richard

5 Year Member
OK, I haven't seen any breeding activity, although the fish are really coloring up and plumping up. Looking for suggestions/advice ...

1) Should I separate into pairs and give them their own tank (20 gallon)?
2) Temp?
3) My water is about 120 ms ... should I treat with peat first ?( Ican produce 100 gallons of peat filtered water)
4) Setup ... I have lots of lava Fern around ... bare bottomed or planted?

Thanks

C

cherryred

Just like spawning

The rams I have spawn in pairs, group settings anything at all! They just like to spawn. We have naturally soft water with neutral ph. They do take a while to be able to breed about 9 months to a year for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….