• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding Behavior?

utoxin

5 Year Member
Can anyone point me to a good site describing the behavior of blue rams as they start to form breeding pairs? I've started to see some new behavior in my little school, and I'm hoping it means they're starting to pair up.

Basically, I've spotted the dominant male swimming in circles with one of the others, who doesn't have dominant markings. None of them have distinctive female markings yet, but I've spotted a couple that look like they might be carrying eggs, due to the shadow I can see in their bodies.

Or maybe I'm just suffering from wishful thinking, and nothing is happening. :) (I did have a dream last night about them spawning...)

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Hi utoxin,
Rams live short and shine bright lives and they will become pairs in a very short time as they are beginning to behave as you described. You won't have to be patient for long before everthing becomes quite clear.

utoxin

5 Year Member
Thanks! I'll keep hoping. I watch them every day, looking for strong pairing or pink bellies, but no luck so far. Ah well. Even if they don't spawn, they're the highlight of the tank.

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
The male will start to chase off other males from his soon to be mate. The female may also chase other males away from a spawning area. My rams use small flower pots or a flat rock for the most part, but one female would lay eggs in a small silk plant. The 2 leaves that were bent almost flat is where she sould hide out.

The pair may chase each other around, but once she is close to laying they will clean a spot and protect it. Enjoy the colour show once you have a pair. They take on an added sparkle.

Not sure what temp your tank is, but 82-84 will get them in the mood.

utoxin

5 Year Member
Hmm. That's a touch warmer than I have my tank right now. I'll wait to make that adjustment until I get back from my vacation this weekend. :)

utoxin

5 Year Member
Yeah. My tank is at 78 right now. I'll bump the heater up a bit when I get home. I'll also be adding a new light, so that may push the temperature up a couple degrees too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….