- Messages
- 17
I have a couple of questions about Bolivian rams. After I removed my apistos and one of the juvenile rams from my 29G, I noticed some strange coloration changes in the mother ram and the unsexed (suspected male) juvenile ram. Both of them got a lot brighter, I mean ALOT - they both have extreme yellow and orange showing right now. Also, the juvenile has developed an odd pinkish patch right by the first ray of the dorsal fin and now has an extended tube (I know males can get this but I thought it was only when directly breeding). I'm a little confused here...I know these could be signs of breeding, but there doesn't seem to be anything else going on. No displays, no other obvious breeding behavior. Any suggestions as to what might be happening? Do I have two confused females? Or is this just the preliminary to greater things?
Other question: I've also noticed an odd aberration in my rams...three of them, including the confirmed female, have blue spots on their flanks while the other three have black spots. I've noticed this on both light and dark substrate, so it's not an optical illusion. In what I've read on Bolivians, I've never seen this mentioned as a sexually dimorphic trait - is it possibly just an odd genetic thing?
Thanks.
Other question: I've also noticed an odd aberration in my rams...three of them, including the confirmed female, have blue spots on their flanks while the other three have black spots. I've noticed this on both light and dark substrate, so it's not an optical illusion. In what I've read on Bolivians, I've never seen this mentioned as a sexually dimorphic trait - is it possibly just an odd genetic thing?
Thanks.