• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Body shapes of taeniatus

mybirdshit

5 Year Member
Was wondering something about the body shape of females certain forms of taeniatus. For certain forms, like Wouri, from pictures and live fish, I notice they have closer body shape to that of pulcher, which is they have rounded bellies. But for certain forms, like Dehane, I notice the female tends to have a somewhat sunken belly look. Both my females are are somewhat like that, no matter how much they eat, but the dominant one has a more pronounced sunken shape, even during the time I thought she was going to spawn. She has looked like this since purchase, and other than her shape, she is perfectly healthy. But her sunken belly look has me somewhat worried though.

What I want to know is, is such body shapes usual among some forms of taeniatus??

Some pics of her.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
All of the female taeniatus that I have kept get very rotund when they are developing eggs. Immediately after spawning they will get that sunken belly look, but it fills out agian over a week or so. Females will start to develop more eggs immediately, even though they may not spawn for months.

Have your fish spawned? I suspect that if they havae not gotten large, then they have not developed eggs. What are you feeding them? What are the water parameters?

mybirdshit

5 Year Member
Nope, not laid eggs before. Though at some point this female did like to disappear into the broken cups for long periods.

What am I feeding? A mixture of foods, really. TetraPro Vegetable, TetraPrima, freeze dried Cyclopeeze, TetraDelica daphnia, bloodworm and brineshrimp, frozen special mix(mysis, daphnia and bloodworm) and frozen daphnia. Most of the time they are fed TetraPro Vegetable and TetraPrima and daphnia, the rest less frequent.

Water parameters...pH usually about 7.2-7.4, temperature usually 28-30 degrees celcius.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nothing in the diet sounds out of sinc. If your fish are not gaining weight and getting plump you might want to consider a mild treatment for internal parasites like nematodes or flukes. I suggest a treatment with Prazi-pro. It is very mild and will not harm other stuff in the tank.

mybirdshit

5 Year Member
I recently got a product called WormerPlus, been wanting to try it out though measuring how much to use could be tricky. One sachet treats 50 gallons, but my tank is smaller than that. Trying to figure out how first to administer it right now.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
How large is the tank? Try this equation:

(water in tank/50 gal) x 100% - this will tell you what percentage of the sachet to use

Pour the sachet into a measuring tool. It is probably a small enough amount to put in a shot glass and measure with a dropper. If you know someone who works at a middle or high school have them go to the science department and bum a couple 1 ml dropper pipettes. They are cheap and disposable. They have a mark indicating 1 ml on the barrel, making measurement in ml easy.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….