• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bloated Apistogramma Cacatuoides

ljse

5 Year Member
I have 2 apistos in a 20 gallon long. The male is fine, but I noticed that my female has an unusually large stomach and she keeps either swimming at the back of the tank near the surface, or lies on the gravel. Wheras previously she spent most of her time in her cave or midlevel. THe male occassionally swims up to her and backs up into her. Is the bloating a problem? If so, what should I do about it?

ljse

5 Year Member
Well I found the apisto dead. Can anyone tell me what the problem could have been? The male is still acting fine.

Roach

5 Year Member
I recently had a very similar problem. Male is fine but she dies the other day. She had been a little bloated for about three or four days then she would hang around the surface.
Probably a bacterial infection or something.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Bloat is most commonly caused by either an intestinal bacteria infection or a swim bladder infections. The difference is pretty easy to see... the swim bladder affected fish cannot swim well at all. The intestinal problem can usually be cured if it is treated when first apparent with a good broad spectrum antibiotic. I use Bifuran... just my personal choice.

As far as it only affecting females... I would suspect that the overall general health of the females might be negatively affected by unwanted attention from the male. You might try multiple females (if the tank is large enough) in order to dilute the aggression. You could also try adding more hiding spaces. I like piles of small driftwood pieces. The females can bury themselve in the back, and once there they are 'out of sight and out of mind' as far as the male is concerned. The females usually spawn up in the pile too.

harnsheng

5 Year Member
my female agasizii die bcos of this!!!!!:mad: i thought she was filled with eggs! thought she is going to spawn very soon! few days later,DIED! so sad! nw end up with a male! for wat!!! :frown:

ljse

5 Year Member
One more question, do both the male and female need a cave? I was thinking of adding a second cave to my tank because my new female keeps hanging around near the top of the end opposite from the cave, while the male sometimes goes into the cave for a few seconds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….