• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black mosquito larvae

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Not sure what UHT stands for? but I've fed all my fish Black Mosquito larvae.

It works best in a tank with a surface orientated dither (Pencil fish or Epiplatys annulatus etc), they actively hunt the larvae at the surface, which causes them to somersault down to the bottom and into range of the Apistogramma.

cheers Darrel

MacZ

Not sure what UHT stands for?
Presumably a brand. Across the pond everybody speaks in terms of brands, while on our side of the pond brand is secondary as long as the product fits the requirements.
Accordingly I could also only say something about black mosquito larvae, but not about the brand.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
OK @MacZ , that makes sense. I've never considered buying them, so that hadn't ocurred to me. All I could think was Ultra Heat Treated milk.

cheers Darrel

MacZ

So sour milk ?
What the? Ultra heating/pasteurisation is a preservation method that keeps milk as it is and just sanitizes it. It doesn't turn sour. Fermentation is an alternative to preserve other things in a jar and pickling is yet another option. That's all. I'm talking of different preservation methods for different things to preserve.

anewbie

What the? Ultra heating/pasteurisation is a preservation method that keeps milk as it is and just sanitizes it. It doesn't turn sour. Fermentation is an alternative to preserve other things in a jar and pickling is yet another option. That's all. I'm talking of different preservation methods for different things to preserve.
But why do we preserve milk for mosquito? Why not just prick the finger and give them some tasty blood ?

MacZ

No. That company uses the same technique used to preserve milk and other foods to preserve the larvae.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….