• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apistos with swolen anus'

paul_fox

5 Year Member
Both of my pair of A Hongsloi seem to have swollen anus' and looking at them they seem to have something sticking out of them. I am a bit colour blind, but it looks reddish (to me) and def not normal:mad:

Anyone have any ideas???:confused:

water stats are ok and a 50% change is done every week

fishgeek

are they eating?
if they have mucoid stringy pale faeces then you have an intestinal parasite either camallanus or protozoa
doa quick search here for
worms/nematodes/protozoa/metronidazol/levamisol all of those should help you understand more and give you treatment options

search is in top header
sorry just rushing off to work
andrew

paul_fox

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply, off to so a search nowm just managed to take a haf decent pic, any ideas? never seen this before

Camallanus worms I think .... has just been mentioned on another forum...

fishgeek

get some metronidazol impregnated food into him if he is eating , i think discomed is available in the states with
metrozol by aquatrol usa, paragon II by aquatronics usa, general cure by aquarium usa,

levamisol treatment in water will work so will adding it to the food

metronidazol 100mgs /kg of feed feed for 3 days running
levamisol 1-2mgs/l of water , can cause anaorexia so prehas get metro in first as it works much better when taken orally then follow on with levamisol as it works well in water aswell as orally

andrew

if your not american then let me know to try and help with sources of medications
i just assumed as most posters here are and nothing in your location profile

KenL

5 Year Member
Definitely a bad infestation of camallanus worms.

If you administer treatment soon the fish should survive. I killed all the worms in a large community tank with one dose of Levamisole Hydrochloride (Levacide-TM), I did lose quite a fish fish though before a vet' gave me advice.

These will infect other fish in the same tank so make sure you treat the whole tank.

Please let us know how you get on.

Microman

5 Year Member
Paul, I would add that these fish are tank bred from Czech stock and no other fish from the brood are infected.You have had these fish for approx 6 months so must have picked infection up your end unless eggs can lie dormant for months which i only think would happen on the substrate not inside the host.
Have you any wild fish that could have brought the infection into your tank as the worm and eggs can be picked up from fish faeces and being sand sifters by nature they will naturally pick it up where other mid water fish may not.
I would treat all stock just in case as other fish such as Discus will often not get this swollen.You may not have noticed it in other species.
I have some Levamisole,email me your address and i will send you some.
I treat all my new wild stock to a short term bath and you will see the worms dropping out in no time.
I have never seen Camallanus but i have treated other nematodes successfully this way.

fishgeek

actually in theory it is normal for camallanus to have an indirect life cycle , this means that it needs an intermediate host (usually some inveterbrate) and can not infect from one fish to another

there is one scientific paper i am aware of that suggests in certain enviroments(to allow the nematode survival) a direct life cycle can be assumed for a short period , it is not exactly understood

nematodes thouh are all capable of lying dormant encysted in musculature of host species to reactivate when eaten later

if using live foods daphnia maybe a source of infection
though generally i would agree with the last statements of it being a wild caught disease
in my opinion more to do with the stress of capture and transit on the fish than the actual parasite itself

andrew

paul_fox

5 Year Member
mummymonkey said:
Dangerous things these worms!

Not that bad I hope!:biggrin:

I got some Fubrinol 15 to treat the tanks with, so will see how it goes as a number of people on the discus forum I go to said that will work

Must admit, I didn't think that they had it when I got the fish as they looked fine for a while. I have a whiptail that I think is a wildcaught and my parottocinculus haroldois (had them for a while though), apart from that, most of the fish in there are F1.

I have been feeding them live daphnia and bloodworm from my LFS though:mad: no more of that then, sounds like tht might be the possible cause.

Mark, thanks, at least I know where I can get some Levamisole if I ever need it. Also a friend has found some Azoo Discus Anti Endoparasites for sale in an LFS, so hes bought a couple of bottles, not sure that should have been for sale though as its got metro in it:wink: but if the guys going to sell it, we are going to buy it:) (was a well known shop in the west end)

fishgeek

is the fubrinol a product that contains flubendazol?
i would be interested in how you get on with it?
and anyone else's personal experiences with it

supposed to be a good product by ancedotal accounts and i can source a dry powdered form though, touch wood, havent needed meds too much recently

andrew

ps metro shouldn't be for sale without prescription in the uk so either not in the bottle or some foreign import , grab it while you can

paul_fox

5 Year Member
fishgeek said:
is the fubrinol a product that contains flubendazol?
i would be interested in how you get on with it?
and anyone else's personal experiences with it

supposed to be a good product by ancedotal accounts and i can source a dry powdered form though, touch wood, havent needed meds too much recently

Thats what it is, you add 1 gram for 25 gallons of water. Its made by Devon Discus (wholesaler - was lucky, a friend got it off him) and is for sale from Discus south

fishgeek said:
ps metro shouldn't be for sale without prescription in the uk so either not in the bottle or some foreign import , grab it while you can

I know, thats why I bought some, not sure why they had it in stock, the guy was a bit hesitant to sell it.... Got two bottle in the post to me though:biggrin:

fishgeek

i think flubendazol is a prescription only medication too
have you used it yet?
do you know the concentration of the medication and suggested dosing per bottle

flubendazol maybe slightly different , i will have to check legislation on that
as far as i know it is mainly used in large animal/poultry side of things so prehaps it is available through farm store type suppliers
if this is the case then flubendazol is likely to be available cheap and in large quantities

interesting if this is so, because it would make fro a good wormer and be available to us old blighty's

andrew

fishgeek

without knowing the active ingredent i cannot comment on a trade name
all the site's i hit were mainly european and sales
if there is a home page that list's the ingredient- they usually dont or we wouldn't buy it off them, then prehaps i can add something

andrew

lab

5 Year Member
I actually have a bottle right next to me where the ingredients are listed:)

So, here goes:

Allium sativum (= Garlic) 3400 g
Malva silvestrum (= Common Mallow ) 5800 g
Chrysantemum vulgare (= Common Tansy) 2400 g
Dryopteris filix-mas (= male Fern) 8900 g
Citric acid 2800 g

Lars

fishgeek

paul: flubendazol is not on the exempt list - fenbendazol is and alway has been
and only one medication(i am not familiar with it) has been made exempt for use in aquatic species

lab: the combination of plants you listed has some valid herbal choices for alimentary usage
enough scientific evidence to suggest garlic has antibacterial effects in the form of allicin, also enough evidence to suggest that only the fresh raw garlic is of value here as the useful part of garlic is closely associated with the odour
ie if you cant smell it it probably isnt much use

the other plants are claimed to be useful for tapeworm,alimentary inflammation and vit c at megadose's is both immunostimulant ansd causes diaarohea so likely to hurry things out the bottom end

take a look at botanical.com it should help
i'm not a big believer in anything till i see evidence... then how can i believe science is right, it all requires some trust or faith in a basic principle

hth
andrew
ps when were you last wormed , healthy body should sort simple things like worms out it is the stressed fish that need help

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….