• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistos + Sand

Psilocybin

5 Year Member
My LFS has some nice black sand that I would like to get for a 20gallon tank which will be the future home of a pair of Apistos. My friend got some of this sand for his 20gallon which he'll be putting shell-dwellers in, and it looks real nice, and is affordable.

The problem is that I don't know if it is a good idea to have sand in an Apisto tank. Any advice would be great.

Thank you

Ghazanfar Ghori

5 Year Member
A lot of people keep their apisto tanks bare bottom. Personally,
I have a thin layer of sand / fine gravel in all my apisto tanks. I think
its more natural and it helps bring out their colors a little more.
I've noticed several species digging shallow pits in the sand when
they have wrigglers - so there is some instinct there that would
otherwise go unsatisfied in a barebottom tank. On the otherhand,
a barebottom tank is easier to keep clean and if maximizing the
amount of fry is your priority, keep it barebottom.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sand is good they like it! Test it first though, make sure it wont drive the hardness up. Put some battery acid on it if it fizzes dont get it

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Germany was Ok but the fish buying wasnt so good. We got fish from Melgar in Peru but most came in dead, of 150 fish I ended up with about 20 alive here and spawning. I did get some fish from Glasers in Frankfurt of which some Agassizi Rio Tefe are the stars, but like Neil says these fish are real stubborn! A new discription is forApistogramma Martini formerly known as Lyretail Panduro. More discriptions are on the way esp. The Inka, I think we call it Apistogramma whiskey sour, what do you think? As for fish that are just new, being discovered I couldnt begin to update you they are being found so much! Melgar and Dr Mortenthaler in Peru are finding new ones all the time. Any time I go to Uwwes he always has 2-3 newly discovered fish, but of course I never get any of them. This branch of the fish keeping hobby (apistos) is moving forward so nicely that the second edition of the book is done and due out this year, and the 3rd edition is in the works!

Randall

5 Year Member
Romer's Atlas Volume II

apistodave said:
This branch of the fish keeping hobby (apistos) is moving forward so nicely that the second edition of the book is done and due out this year, and the 3rd edition is in the works!

Dear Dave,

Please get us an English language edition of Dr. Romer's new book, will you? We don't want to have to wait three years like the last time. :evil:

Take care.

Randall

V

Vincent Lam

Hi! I'm new here and I come from Asia(Hong Kong). I use ADA Amazonia Aqua soil for the Dwarf Cichlid tank! It's a Japanese product! It can keep water around PH 5-6 and KH 2 only! Check below for your reference.
I hope you don't mind my English so poor!

http://www.adaeurope.com

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….