• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma velifera

lab

5 Year Member
I just got some A. velifera, and wondered if anybody would like to share experiences, since I never had this species before.

From the DATZ book I can see it is considered a medium/hard species to keep. How low do you think I should go in pH to breed them, and are they choosy with respect to partner?

In the shop they were labeled "A. resticulosa", although they knew it was a wrong name. They just didn't know what the right name was. A little odd there was only one male in the whole group of maybe 20 fish. Is the sex ratio something I should pay special attention to in this species?

(I also got 2 other new species today: Tahuantinsuyoa macantzatza and a bunch of young Guianacara sp. "Red cheek". Damn, Kullander must have been in a bad mood when he named the first species :confused: :wink: )

Lars

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. velifera is a member of the pertensis-group. Like other members it is preferencially monogamous. It is the female who is choosy. It is a blackwater species that requires soft & acid water similar to A. nijsseni to reproduce. This combination of factors makes it more difficult to breed than most other apistos. Sex ratios are primarily dependent on temperature.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No, males seems to be very casual about parenting - and even defending a territory. It is the female who is "picky" about her choice in males. If I were you, since there is only 1 male, I would buy several females. One will probably be willing to breed with him. If you are lucky, he might find even more than 1 female willing.

lab

5 Year Member
OK, I thought of the approach with more females too.

I don't quite get the monogamous part of it now:confused: Or does it only apply to females? I mean, if the male only mates with one female, he would have every reason to help raise the fry or at least defend the overall territory.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….