• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Uapesi

scalarefan

5 Year Member
I've just bougt some, and I wondered if anyone have some information about them? It seems to be hard finding information about this species here on the Internett.

I have one male, and two females in a 260 litre with 3 german blue rams, a pair of bolivian rams and a pair of angels (+ some ansistrus, one L-200 and some red-nose tetra).

I'll soon move the Bolivian pair to a different tank (94-litre) to try to breed them :)

I would very much like too breed my uapesis as well when and if the time comes :)

I'll be glad for any helpful hints and for good apisto-links :D

Sissel

Neil

scalarefan,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Uaupesi is a very interesting species that has several forms. All are known for their remarkable finnage and some have quite impressive colors as well. All are from waters that are very mineral poor and acidic. So, if you are thinking about breeding, you will need to have very soft, acidic water. I have spawned these fish only after dropping the values below 5 PH and almost pure RO (less than 1 dGH). I suspect that the eggs will not develop properly in water with much hardness at all.
Good luck with them. I love that fish. It is my favorite in the pertensis grouping.
Neil

scalarefan

5 Year Member
Thanx :D

And thanx for good info :D

I've heard this apistos can be somewhat agressive, are two females + one male together OK or should there be a few females more?

scalarefan

5 Year Member
Hi again Neil!
Just tought I should tell you that my group of three is doing quite well. They are SO beautiful (especially the male... :D ).
No eggs or babies yet, which is quite ok, because the PH is a bit too high so they wouldn't hatch after all :roll:
Do they ley their eggs in a "cave" (coconut-shell for ex.)? If so, they have a few to choose from :?

I have a pair of other apistoes (which I'm not sure of what type they are) -they are more agressive than the uapesis, so I guess the uapesi is one of the not so agressive apsitoes... :? :)

Sissel

Neil

Do they ley their eggs in a "cave" (coconut-shell for ex.)? If so, they have a few to choose from

If they have some cave that is usually where they will spawn. I have found them to be fairly secretive, so a low cave, hidden may be a good choice.

...so I guess the uapesi is one of the not so agressive apsitoes...

I wouldn't say that. They can be fairly aggressive. You may just have some mellow individual fish or might be in for a treat later :)

Neil

scalarefan

5 Year Member
Hi again Neil, and thanx for answering my questions. :D

They have a few coconut-shell, but I'll try to make a cave from some stones ore something to make it lower and more hidden. If they start to breed, I can move them to another tank with PH 5 and 0-3dKH - now this tank is taken by my bolivians to see if they'll spawn again (the PH is a bit higher when they are in the tank). :)

I just found out today, my other apisto is apistogramma aunotus...
They have used one of the smallest coconut-shells to lay their eggs in, but they ate them the second day. Hopefully they'll try again :)

Thanks again.
Sissel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….