• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp "steelblue" female

merlin

5 Year Member
My fem has become very attached to her little cave. Chasing off the tetras but still dancing to the male when he comes near. The short video below shows this behaviour. My question is this, is she defending her cave because she has spawned or is she prepared to spawn but as yet the male is not interested.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

leafish

I have no idea but that's a cool video! So only the male steel blues have the blue coloring?

merlin

5 Year Member
Thanks Leafish, its amazing what can be done with a phone these days. My male is only just colouring up he is probably still too young for breeding but he is beginning to look good.

raymond82

Very nice video indeed! I really like how she build a little dam in front of the entrance to the cave. For what it's worth (I have little experience): the one time I saw this kind of behavior I ended up with around 20 fry.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with Raymond and Darrel. That berm in front of the cave entrance almost always means that there are eggs/larvae in there. Her color & behavior also point in that direction.

triplecrown333

same behaviour seen from my female mac last week and this sunday i had fry:), the parents protect the fry in the community tank better than some parents i read about in the news, what a joy to watch...

merlin

5 Year Member
My female emerged today with a good number of fry(40-50) perhaps. Both adults guarding them well. Considering how young this pair is I am a bit surprised and a bit behind time with my worm cultures etc. Photos to follow

merlin

5 Year Member
An early photo of the newly emerged fry. The female is approx 1inch.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1342029359540.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342029359540.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 413
  • uploadfromtaptalk1342029404022.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342029404022.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 491

merlin

5 Year Member
Watched both adults being protective of the fry this morning, got home tonight she has killed the male. Should I have removed him immeadiately and left the female with the fry.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear this. Removing the male depends on a lot of things. After breeding the male has no real function in a breeding tank. If you can remove him without disturbing the female, then I would try. I usually don't remove the male, but then my tanks are well enough decorated and large enough that he has a place to escape. How large is your tank?

merlin

5 Year Member
Hi Mike.
I suspect my tanks are a bit small. 18*12*12 and 18*18*12 I got these because 20 years ago thats what I used but I should have checked all these things against todays thoughts. I am now away to build a rack for 2 off 36*18*12 with removable partitions for growing on fry and for males when necessary.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
In a tank as small as Merlin's, I would immediately remove the male. I have some 18x14x8" (45x35x20cm) tanks that I use for certain, more mellow species, but not for a species as aggressive as Steel-blue. I find it strange how aggressive Steel-blue are. Most regani-group species tend to be more 'laid back'.

merlin

5 Year Member
Hi Mike.
What other species would you remove the male from routinely. My name is Derek for those who would like to know.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Derek, in a tank your size it would be easier to recommend species in which I would not remove the male: pertensis- and iniridae-group species (after a pair forms), A. wapisana, steindachneri-group species (with dither fish), resticulosa-complex species. Other than these, I would be very careful and keep an eye out for aggression. Actually, keep an eye out for aggression is a good idea for any species.

merlin

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike
It is amazing how the bullying changes during the period. First off the male is doing all the chasing and the femsle doesnt get a minute but as soon as she has a spawn then the male can be killed by the female. Good advice I will remove all until my tanks grow.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….