• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp. "Pebas" ("Morado") in the net

Tom C

5 Year Member
The connection to the internet here in the Amazon is this time very unstable, but as I suddenly seem to be connected more then 30 seconds, I’m able to show you a small, colorful glimpse from our trip.

On our way to Rio Shishita

(Rio Shishita at 05:50 a.m.)
1432.jpg

we stopped at Pebas again, and took the opportunity to collect some Apistogramma sp. "Pebas" ("Morado"). This fish is usually quite colorful in our tanks, but I’ve never seen it like it shows up here, in the nature:

1433.jpg

We have a wonderful trip; we don’t find everything we try and hoped for, but we have found species/forms that very seldom or never have been documented collected straight from the nature.

bigbird

5 Year Member
morning
wow what a stunning beautiful fish he is. Indeed send him to me for a couple of weeks and let my females do the business. Nice to see that you share your experience with us as well. have a safe return journey and keep posting us more photos.
cheer jk :biggrin:

apistobob

5 Year Member
Thanks for the photos Tom. What an amazingly colorful morado. You are sure making me jealous as I have always wanted to take a collecting trip. Anything you can post will be eagerly enjoyed by all of us.

Bob

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, and only a 15 minute walk from the square (plaza) in Pebas (and over a field with water buffalo). Some fish are easy to get to, some are hard. Tom & I have had some "intersting times".

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
At this sight we collected: A. sp. Pebas (Morado), Aequidens sp., 5cm/2" Hoplias sp., Copella sp., a species of Blue Tetra, & a large Ampularia snail.

Julio Melgar

5 Year Member
Tom and Mike,

I wish I stayed for a couple more weeks. Any luck with the Huanta and the Shishita cruzi forms?

Best,

julio

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, we collected both. The Huanta A. sp. Negro looks like the A. sp. Albertini form of A. cf. eunotus Schwanzstreifen/Tail-stripes. The Shishita form is actually a eunotus form, too. It has splits in Bars 5, 6, & 7! It is almost as blue as the Morado form of Pebas pictured above - and gigantic, at least 8 cm males! I hope these survive the trip home.

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hello Tom,

Wow what great photos, especially the New colour aggasi, wow what a stunning tail and colour. Hope that your exports arrive well in Norway. Kepp us posted and lots of pics. Have a good day. cheers jk :biggrin:

RAF

5 Year Member
Great looking fish... got me drooling over the photos. It's a pitty that fish of that qualitu are seldom available in the hobbie. Was looking at the inport list from a well known european importer and there was the sp. pebas "wlid" available and I asked myself if it's really the same sp. pebas that you collected... I have my doubts.

It's a real priveledge to see these photos and I thank you all for that... just hope maybe one day I can get hold of some of these species.

Tom C

5 Year Member
A few shots of the wild A.sp. "Pebas" ("Morado") after 7 weeks in captivity.

Although different than in the sunlight in the wild, it still shows nice colors:

1898.jpg

1899.jpg

Sharpfish

5 Year Member
I can't decide if the picture (of the "Pebes" "Morado") in the wild or the pictures in the home tank are more impressive. The color is great in both cases.

RAF

5 Year Member
That's an extraordinary fish Tom...

... I have to desagree with Mike Wise, I already wanted that fish... now I just want it more! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….