• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Collecting.....

Ekona

5 Year Member
This one even showed a pink-ish body!
Apistogramma bitaeniata (Rio Corrientes):

resizeimage.aspx

Freshwater fish with mauve colors are amazing (and, I think, rare). What a beauty. Would be great to see this one at home in your tank displaying.

Tom C

5 Year Member
A selection of the fish I collected has now come "home". They have acclimatized well, and become somewhat accustomed to me being engaged in a lot of things on the outside of the tanks.
So then it's time to take some photos...

I collected quite a lot of Apistogramma agassizii at the Rio Corrientes, and brought some of them home. As usual, they represent an eclectic mix of color variations.

I took some pictures of that tank today, and was completely overwhelmed by this beautiful male's colors:

resizeimage.aspx

This species' males are usually polychromatic in their habitats, so when collecting them, you often get several different color forms in the same net. This means that the offspring are likely to show different color combinations too, so unfortunately, there are no guarantees that any of the offspring is completely identical to the father ...

Ekona

5 Year Member
Wow, Tom, the yellows are so intense! Aggies are great apistos! Thanks for sharing .

Tom C

5 Year Member
He has found a potential wife all by himself:

resizeimage.aspx

and so seems one of the other males from the same location to have done. His colors differ considerably from "Mr. Beautiful" above...:

resizeimage.aspx

Why are you interested in the future mate?
-

rr16

5 Year Member
and so seems one of the other males from the same location to have done. His colors differ considerably from "Mr. Beautiful" above...:

resizeimage.aspx

-
This one is beautiful in his own right!

Tom C

5 Year Member
I love to watch the different wild forms of Apistogramma agassizii from the Río Corrientes:

I have been waiting for the females to grow, and they now seem to approach the size where I would put them in a separate tank with one of the males, to spawn:

resizeimage.aspx

Mr. Beautiful is doing fine:

resizeimage.aspx

These seem to be similar to the A. agassizii "Flamenco" form, known from the nearby Río Tigre:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

These have red tails:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

Another form:

resizeimage.aspx

And some specimens have more spotted caudal fins:

resizeimage.aspx

gerald

5 Year Member
Tom, Is there any chance that collectors might have released "aggie"-group species from other places here in years past, or do you think the extreme variability in this population is all a result of natural evolution?

Ekona

5 Year Member
Tom, Is there any chance that collectors might have released "aggie"-group species from other places here in years past, or do you think the extreme variability in this population is all a result of natural evolution?
I was wondering the very same thing. However, I recall that H. Bleher showed a collection of A. agg. from one small stream with the same extreme color variations, I don't recall the location right off hand, though.

Ttw

5 Year Member
In 1988 I was collecting in a small stream in an agricultural research station on the road east out of Jenaro Herrera on the way to kilometer 14 to try to catch some nijsseni. Out of that small stream I collected agassizi of several different colors. I remember catching the common blue form. Some with blue caudals, some with caudals with a white lattice like pattern.and other blue aggies with blue caudals with a wide white border. Also caught yellow aggies in the same locale with yellow caudals with a white border. I have never again caught so many color varieties in one location.

Tom C

5 Year Member

There always is a chance that fishes have been translocated, but I don't think this is what has happened here;

- "Aggies" are exported for less than one US dollar each from the exporters, you could guess what the fishermen get.
- The location is too far away from the exporters in Iquitos, and travelling is expensive in the Amazon.
- This is a very small village and a "new" place to collect Apistos, it would surprise me a lot if someone had even searched for Apistos here years ago
- I can not remember one single location where I have found several specimens of A. agassizii and they all looked exactly the same
- A very goos example is Ttw's report from the Jenaro Herrera area (above). Examples from my own expeditions could be the Rio Galvez, where there were several color forms, in the Rio Tamshiyacu and the Rio Tahuayo the same, and towards the end of the report from the Rio Tapiche, where this photo is from,

resizeimage.aspx

I wrote this about the "Aggies" we found in one location: "There were forms with red fins, with white fins and with almost transparent fins, specimens with yellow heads, red heads or blue heads, and some with yellow and some with white chests. And some reminded of the A.agassizii "Pastel" form."

So, yes, I think these fishes are results of a natural evolution of a highly polychromatic species.

I will try to make space to breed at least a couple of the color forms, just to see how the young ones will look like.
Always the same challenge: lack of tank space!
Ideally I should also free space enough so that the females themselves could choose which males they would like to spawn with, a possible step in speciation...

Last edited:

gerald

5 Year Member
THAT could be really interesting, if you can arrange it so the females really have a choice and aren't forced into accepting the dominant male. If mate selection is not random, then maybe we're actually looking at multiple species here, or varieties on their way to becoming new species.

Ideally I should also free space enough so that the females themselves could choose which males they would like to spawn with, a possible step in speciation...

Tom C

5 Year Member
I brought home two adults, and several very small ones, of the yellow (amarillo) form of Apistogramma sp. "Kelleri".
After a while, the largest one tried to swallow the second largest (!), and they both died:

resizeimage.aspx

Now the small ones have grown nicely for several month:

resizeimage.aspx

Another photo of this male:
resizeimage.aspx

I'll guess you already have noticed the unusual form of the caudal fin, and here is a close up of this amazing caudal fin.
It shows 4 extensions!

resizeimage.aspx

rr16

5 Year Member
Looks interesting. Is there only this one that shows this or are there more? Am guessing none of the other adults showed it? Trying to swallow each other looks interesting too!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….