• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp. cristal (similar A. luelingi) male or female?

Pictus

5 Year Member
Hey everyone,
I'm not sure about this little fellow here.
It's a F1 descendant of a couple I bought as Apistogramma sp. cristal and this species seems to be similar to A. luelingi.
Currently I just have got this fellow and a sure sister of him anymore and I would be very happy if he really would be a male.
He really looks like a male on this photos but his mother looked pretty malelike as well before she surprisingly got fry (videolink of her with fry:
).

Picture of his dad: https://imageshack.com/i/m9beb9j

Pictures of him: https://imageshack.com/i/idvkJ4Oij
https://imageshack.com/i/ey7CIa3Nj

Picture of his sister: https://imageshack.com/i/pb0hn3Lnj

Both are now about one and a half year old and they havent grown up very much.
I do not have any heater in the tank and I use rainwater and live food about 4 times a week (when they were younger more often of course).
Looking forward to a definite answer of my question!

best regards
Patrick

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If 1½ years old the male should be very easy to distinguish from the female by the high front spines on the dorsal fin. None of your photos are visible.

Pictus

5 Year Member
Hey,
Now I've just posted the links, still not visible?

best regards
Patrick

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
The seem to be working now. He doesn't have the black pectoral edging like she does, but you'd expect at that age to see the extended dorsal as Mike mentioned. Too confusing for this novice.

ErtyJr

To my very novice eyes they both appear female. When I sex apistogramma I generally look for signs of the female, which are the shorter first 3 rays of the dorsal, and black in the pelvic fins. I do not see any black in the pelvic fins but the picture is not very good for that, and it is not there 100% of the time anyways. However the first 3 rays are quite short.

Gillie

5 Year Member
Very odd that there is no dorsal extension, but I do see extension in other finnage which is a good sign, but as Mike pointed out at the age you stated it should be very clear. May I ask why the tank is unheated? That could be hindering their development.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My guess, based on the length of the caudal and ventral fin tips, is that it is a male, but I don't know why it has such a short dorsal. My male at the same age had noticeably longer front spines. I know that A. trifasciata raised in hard water tend to produce lower dorsal spines than those raised in softer water. Maybe the same is true for this species.

Pictus

5 Year Member
Hallo,
@Gillie :
According to my information, the A. (cf) luelingi don't need that high temperature.
This tank is'nt colder than 22 degrees even in the winter.
They spawned around January 2013 and at this point the temperature was around 23 I think.
But after all I think it could had been helpful, if I would have added a heater to support the development of the fry because they were grown very slowly.
Currently the temperature is about 25.

best regards
Patrick

Ekona

5 Year Member
Those photos do appear to show sub-adults without the extended spines - and in photos I was looking at adult males don't appear to have greatly extended spines anyway, that is, compared to other species in the complex? I think you have a male there and they are very nice looking. Good luck with them!

Pictus

5 Year Member
Thank you Ekona.
Not compared to the entire complex, compared to A. sp cristal pictures from this website (its about the 8th species at the page)
best regards Patrick

Pictus

5 Year Member
Hey everyone,
It seems as if they spawned.
The sure female is always around a coconut-cave in the rear right corner of the tank.
She uses the little upper hole as entrance and chases the male (the fish I was unsure about the sex) when he approaches. Just a bit wondering about her colour, she does'nt appar to be very yellow yet.
Nevertheless, I was always very confused about this other little fellow: His pelvic fins were quite black sometimes and he did'nt develop any really extended dorsal spines.
His caudal tips developed a bit but the caudal does'nt show any pattern.
Unfortunately I did'nt manage to shoot a usefull pic yet.

But after all there should'nt be a too high propability that there are 2 females ...
At the time there are the first larvaes visible, I'll be unbelievable happy!

best regards
Patrick

ErtyJr

Hey everyone,
It seems as if they spawned.
The sure female is always around a coconut-cave in the rear right corner of the tank.
She uses the little upper hole as entrance and chases the male (the fish I was unsure about the sex) when he approaches. Just a bit wondering about her colour, she does'nt appar to be very yellow yet.
Nevertheless, I was always very confused about this other little fellow: His pelvic fins were quite black sometimes and he did'nt develop any really extended dorsal spines.
His caudal tips developed a bit but the caudal does'nt show any pattern.
Unfortunately I did'nt manage to shoot a usefull pic yet.

But after all there should'nt be a too high propability that there are 2 females ...
At the time there are the first larvaes visible, I'll be unbelievable happy!

best regards
Patrick

It is possible, but at the same time don't get your hopes up to much. Females can sometimes lay eggs only in the presence of other females. But if they hatch you have a surefire answer =D

It has also been said in the absence of males females can sometimes change sex!

Pictus

5 Year Member
Hi,
I heard about both of these facts.
This is why I really hope for larvaes.
I recently red about the 2nd, that this only had been watched at A. cacatouides. This is an interesting topic, is there some information about other species as well?

greets
Patrick

Pictus

5 Year Member
Hello,
Unfortunately the eggs did not develop (I suspect the Pangio kuhli, which I'll give to another fishkeeper ), but today I was able to do some great shots of the pair and there should'nt be any questions left about their sexes.
IMG_6110.JPG
IMG_6111.JPG
IMG_6112.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….