• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma pebas ID ?

mematrix

5 Year Member
Hi It's me with questions again. As most know I just recently aquired a pr of wild apistos. I was told they were apistogramma sp pevas/pebas. I am not sure I have been researching their ID through the web and my books. I have found a few pics that resembel them A. sp Nanay pg 20 aqualog extra, A.sp rio-nanay pg21 AQ extra, A cf cruzi pg 30 AQ S.A cichlids II, A. sp mosaik A-34 pg 34 datz, A.sp pebas A-89 bottom left pic pg 50, finally A. cruzi pg 359 romers cichlid atlas bottom pic. I have a few photos I can only upload 4 here but here is the link to the rest http://www.photobucket.com/albums/y74/mematrix/mematrix4/
Sincerely Curtis

PICT1808.jpg

PICT1809.jpg

PICT1790.jpg

PICT1820.jpg

blueblue

5 Year Member
Dear Curtis,

i think they are A. sp. Pebas.

By the way, there are also a lot of different trade names associated with it, including Nanay, Moraldo, Purple, Algodon (1, 2...), etc...

Some people would say that there are differences among these species
while I think they more or less describe the same species, of course, collected from different locations, at different time, and by different
traders.

As a remark, I myself believe that A. sp. Pebas and A. sp. Papagei (parrot) basically belong to the same species (look at the female fish, you know what i mean), which are also closely associated with A. Cruzi.

mematrix

5 Year Member
Re To Post

Hi Blue blue I appreciate the reply. As you say there seems to be quite a few names associated with pebas one of the main reasons I am a bit confused. I am pretty stoked about my new members of my collection they are pretty cool. They seem to be setteling in their new home well. I even think they are woking on maybe spawning for me they sure act like it the female especially she is always showing her belly to the male and in what looks like breeding colors. Thanks again for helping me to get a better picture as to what I got here.

Sincerely Curtis

Joost S

5 Year Member
First of all beautifull fish! My compliments.

I think it is the A.papagaei (A91) or other names A.algodon II or A.Nanay. The female has the beautifull double spot on the basis of the tail and 5 - 6 markings on the back. The double spot on the site.

And as Blue Bleu already stated: they belong to the regani-group and the eunotus-complex. Just like the A.pebas. It is no pebas I think, because of the shape of the male, the colouring and the marking on the female (tailspot)

GREAT FISH!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Joost S could be correct, but I cannot say for certain because the photos are not clear enough to see some of the important diagnostic features.

Male A. sp. Papagei (= Algodon I (not II = A. sp. Putumayo) & Nanay (sensu Römer, but not anybody else)) has a non-patterned tail. The females show a "notched" caudal patch that looks something like this: ∞.

Male A. sp. Pebas usually have some cross bands in the tail; those on the Morado morph are very faint. The females have a blunt triangular caudal patch that has its base on the tail fin & the blunt apex (tip) on the caudal peduncle. It does not have the "notched" caudal patch seen on Papagei.

The 2 forms come from the Rio Ampiyacu & are very closely related. We will need more information (DNA & distribution data) before we can say if they are geographic morphs of the same species.

mematrix

5 Year Member
Re to post

Thanks Mike ,Joost S I think You all might be right At least i got it narrowed down now and seems both are closly related that breeding parametres should be much the same. LOL Now to get them to spawn for me.LOL The female is in breeding colors and rushes up to th emale and nips at his mid section and shows her belly he just spreads his fins and swims along. But I think it will happen soon I keep feeding them live and frozen food and they are in a planted aquarium with two pots and drift wood.

Sincerely Curtis

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The species will be much easier to ID once the female is in brood tending colors. Female A. sp. Papagei/Parrot usually have only 2 spots (+ caudal patch) on the flanks. Females of A. sp. Pebas have 4 - 5 spots (+ caudal patch).

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….