• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma eremnophyge

fishgeek

i have breed a few in water's of 5.5 pH to 6.5 ph with low conductvity (did not read the hardness) i generally use almost exclusivly r/o water and have an electronic EC meter reading always below 5ppm depending on proportion of tap that may have been used
i tend to use tap only if i have run low on r/o , so my water parameters will fluctuate some

they required no special attention, other than being more shy than other apisto's i have kept

i feed generally a lot of frozen blood worm +adult brine shrimp
general commercial pelleted foods
and depending on what i have available live foods including daphnia/mosquito wrigglers/microworm and white worm

andrew

Marc

5 Year Member
Good Morning,

i have breed them in very soft water and a pH of 5,0 - 5,5. Temperature is set to 84°F, after successful breeding down to 80°F (cause i try to become a good ratio male/female). The tank is well planted and there are some enemy-fish (Hyph. cf. troemneri, 25mm TL, their chance to get some little apistos depends to 0) so i can keep the male busy. I feed them with frozen food, black and white mosqito larvae, bosmiden (i dont know how they are called in english, sorry), daphnia, artemia and cyclops, cyclops, cyclops, whenever i'am able to catch them alive - to much ice on the water in these days.

Greetings
Marc

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi there,

I have 1 pair that I get about 50 or 60 juveniles from every 3 months (currently on their 4th brood). Water stats are > pH ~5, GH 1, KH not detectable. They are in an 18"x18"x15"(tall) tank, silica sand substrate, bog wood, coconut shell and a single amazon sword (in its own pot).

Fish are fed twice per day with fresh bbs in the morning (for both adults and juveniles) and in the evening either cyclops, daphnia, mysis, artemia (all are frozen and rotated throughout the week).

My main comment with this species is the slow growth rate of the juveniles (anyone else experienced this???), compared with some of the others Apistos I have breeding, the juveniles seem to take an extra 5 or 6 weeks to get to a sexable size.

Andrew

edit > the only other occupants in the tank are 2 whiptail cats, they've never presented a problem in terms of losing fry/juveniles to predation

Marc

5 Year Member
Hi Andrew,
a.d.wood said:
My main comment with this species is the slow growth rate of the juveniles (anyone else experienced this???), compared with some of the others Apistos I have breeding, the juveniles seem to take an extra 5 or 6 weeks to get to a sexable size.
i' am not able to affirm this. Mine juveniles grow as fast as the cacatuoides. The slowest growing apistos i own are the Ap. trifasciata (F2). They need twice the time for their first centimeter. :confused:

Marc

harnsheng

5 Year Member
wahh...so slow grow rate wan! how bout A.bitaeniata and A.viejita??? are they grow slow or fast???

Microman

5 Year Member
Andrew,
My Eremnopyge fry/Juvies definately take longer than most other Apistos i breed to get to sexable size,possibly a couple of months longer.
Cannot explain why. I even give them extra daily feeds to compensate for this and they are still slower than the other species.

fishgeek

i dont find mine a lot slower than the others , then i dont feed anyone as much as i could so prehaps i slow the faster ones down to the fresa's rates?

blueblue

5 Year Member
Microman said:
Andrew,
My Eremnopyge fry/Juvies definately take longer than most other Apistos i breed to get to sexable size,possibly a couple of months longer.
Cannot explain why. I even give them extra daily feeds to compensate for this and they are still slower than the other species.

i have exactly the same finding. The growth rate of "strawberry" (Eremnopyge) is as slow as that of the diplo...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The problem might be the temperature. A. eremnopyge is an upland jungle species that prefers to live in waters in the 72 - 75ºF/22º - 26ºF range. If you are keeping the fry at temperatures closer to 80ºF/26.5ºC, then they are living closer to their 'upper lethal limit' temperature. At 'upper lethal limit' temperatures, cold-blooded species tend to slow down their metabolism, just like being kept too cool ('lower lethal limit'). You might experiment with the temperatures found in their natural habitats (after about 4 week of age) & see if they grow any faster. It is just an idea. I cannot say if it is true.

Boupette

5 Year Member
Andrew,
Thanks for sharing, that 's exactly the answer I was looking for cause I was getting a bit worried about the fact that the juvies were slow growing compared to some other Apistos I've raised too. The T° is 78°F and I will do as you mention Mike. Thanks everybody!

Boupette

5 Year Member
Thanks!
Anyone can tell me what's the first sign to identify male or female on eremnopyge? All I can see now is a blue making below the eyes on certains individuals. Nothing yet on the pelvics. They were free swimming around april 18. ;)

Boupette

5 Year Member
Another 8 - 12 weeks, so much time?! My God! I thougt 3 months would be ok. Most of the Apistos I've raised are sexable around 2 months or so. I just have to be patient as you said Mike, thanks! :rolleyes:

Boupette

5 Year Member
Well not every Apisto, if I remember well A. agasszi "fire red" , cacatuoides, panduro, baenschi and some others but of course I don't have the experience that you have Mike, I'm just a beeginner compare to you! Those were easy ones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….