• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma cross breeding and coexistence

Nickolay

Hi I have a question. I'd like to have 750 liters aquarium (300cm X 50cm X 50cm) and want to have certain species: baenschi(atahualpa), bitaeniata, paulmuelleri and dicrossus, taeniacara and m.altispinoza.
Could be some problems? For example cross breeding between species of apisto and and coexistence.

Thanks

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It really depends on the lay-out of the tank (visual territorial boundaries). Cross-breeding shouldn't be a problem with the apistos since they are all different in shape/finnage and from different species-groups within the genus. Since this is a community tank, I don't expect breeding to be very successful.

Nickolay

It really depends on the lay-out of the tank (visual territorial boundaries). Cross-breeding shouldn't be a problem with the apistos since they are all different in shape/finnage and from different species-groups within the genus. Since this is a community tank, I don't expect breeding to be very successful.
Mike, Do dicrossus, taeniacara and any species of apistogramma have the same biotope?

Nickolay

No, I mean these species can exist in the same geographic area (to be neighbors in nature) without interbreeding? I don't want inter(cross)breeding, I'm for the purity of blood )))

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
In that case, yes there are species whose geographic ranges overlap each other. That being said, crosses of species almost never occurs in the wild. That is because there are males and females of the same species living together. When given a choice species will breed with their own species, and they can recognize who belongs to their species.

andris

with regards to that question would you keep d. maculatus and for example appistogramma elizabethae together in a 4ft tank?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
These 2 species aren't sympatric. Not only that, but they come from biotopes with different water conditions. One will be less comfortable with conditions of the other. You can try it if you want. That's up to you. Personally, if I wanted to keep D. macuatus with an apisto, I'd keep it with A. agassizii, since it is sympatric with A. cf. agassizii (BBCS). If I wanted to keep A. elizabethae, I'd keep it with D. filamentosus or D. foirni, which lives in similar blackwater habitats.

andris

thank you, in general i would prefer keeping species which are sympatric. is A elizabethae sympatric with D filamentosus or D foirni? or its only similar blackwater biotope? is there any good source for studying this?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Check Fish base and search for species from the Rio Uaupés and Rio Içna. D. filamentosa might be from there, but D. Foirni is from further down the Rio Negro.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….