• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma alacrina.

Microman

5 Year Member
I have kept many different forms of A.cf.alacrina or A.sp."Rotpunct" over the years but recently l I was kindly given a pair of the paratype form of A.alacrina from the Rio Ortegueza, Colombia (Tom can you kindly spell this correctly for me as I cannot find our recent correspondence) with the broad black anal blotch in female specimens. Until now I, like many Apisto enthusiasts have often underestimated this species but in reality it is a truly stunning species.
Mark...
Alacrina1.jpg Alacrina H.jpg AlacrinaF2.jpg

Tom C

5 Year Member
Yes, fishes from this population are stunning. Here are a few pics of my wild ones:

resizeimage.aspxImage=7299.jpg&width=600&Sign=%20%20Tom%20C

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspxImage=7299.jpg&width=600&Sign=%20%20Tom%20C

resizeimage.aspx

One of the pairs in my group breeds all the time:

resizeimage.aspx

....Tom can you kindly spell this correctly for me ...

resizeimage.aspx

This Río Orteguaza is in the Department of Caquetá, Colombia.

Just a few days ago I received a small shipment with apistos from remote areas, from my hard working friends in Colombia.
Among them were a few wild A. cf. alacrina from the department just south of the Caqueta: The Department of Putumayo.
They already show some nice colours, and look like this after 4 days in one of my tanks:
resizeimage.aspx

Looking forward to see how they will develop!

Last edited by a moderator:

Microman

5 Year Member
Looking very nice already Tom... Do the females display the black anal blotch of the Rio Orteguaza (Department of Caquetá) specimens?
I think Dr. Kullander has done a similar sort of thing with the description of A.alacrina that he did with that of A. cruzi.

Tom C

5 Year Member
... Do the females display the black anal blotch of the Rio Orteguaza (Department of Caquetá) specimens?...

Amazingly some do (like the one in my prevous post), and some don't. This is another wild female from the same catch and location:

resizeimage.aspx

...I think Dr. Kullander has done a similar sort of thing with the description of A.alacrina that he did with that of A. cruzi.
Yes, to me it seems as he used at least two or three different species to describe A. alacrina!

Last edited by a moderator:

aquaticnatureart

Does anyone know of some Apistogramma Alacrina catch locations? I went Bogota this year for the first time and I think next year I want to go to Río Orteguaza, Florencia, Department of Caquetá and I was looking for information about how to legally bring back first that I might catch.

MacZ

if this website isn't already stickied somewhere, it should be.
Tom, Frank and Mike have basically written the whole page and the usual suspects here on the forum link it all the time. It doesn't need to be bookmarked here on the forum. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….