• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto nijsenni and baenschi?

Matt1892

Hi everyone, this is my first topic posted on here but I had a couple of questions that I was unable to find answers to.
My first question is in a 4 foot 55 gallon tank would I be capable of keeping both a nijsenni(panda) and a baenschi(inka) pair as tank mates? I believe they are close relatives and may intermingle? If this is the case then I will not keep them together.
My other question is, are either hard to come by because I have a community and breeder tank currently set up and would prefer to breed the rarer of the two so to speak if either are even considered remotely hard to come by.
Lastly I have a 3 foot across by about 1 foot deep tank if properly divided and set up would I be able to keep two pairs nijsenni or two pairs baenschi in this setup, and if yes which would be better temprement wise? Or would only one pair be recommended?
Any answers would help me out or even being forwarded to a thread where this may have been discussed.
Thanks,
-Matt

gerald

5 Year Member
Normally they will mate with their own species if they can, but if your male nijsseni bullies the male baenschi (or vice versa) to the point where he cant successfully breed, the female may accept the "wrong" male to fertilize her eggs. I would keep similar species like those separate. If you want multiple species per tank its better if the 2nd species is from a distinctly different Apisto group, like agassizi.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is not the best combination since both species belong to the nijsseni-group and can interbreed. Römer pictures some of the most God-awful looking crosses of A. baenschi X A. nijsseni in his original description of A. baenschi. A. baenschi is more popular in the aqurium, easier to breed, more prolific, easier to collect in the wild, more common in the trade and more adaptable to different water values than A. nijsseni.

Matt1892

Thanks guys, Would I run into breeding issues if I were to keep 4 nijsenni's in a 3 foot tank with proper boundaries 2M 2F? Or should I keep just a single pair? This is more of a what would you recommend question, could these guys be too cramped, or would they interfere with breeding of the opposite pair? I would probably use pencil fish as dithers based off forum recommendations on other threads.
Thanks again
-Matt

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
2 of each sex should be fine in a 3ft tank - if it has proper territories. Once 2 bond, however, the other 2 might need to be removed. It depends on how aggressive the bonded pair become.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….