• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto borelli

Ij7760

Setting up a four foot tank with plenty of caves and bog wood and rocks do you think it possible to keep two males with maybe three to five females..the only other fish in the tank will be a group of dither fish.

anewbie

Setting up a four foot tank with plenty of caves and bog wood and rocks do you think it possible to keep two males with maybe three to five females..the only other fish in the tank will be a group of dither fish.
Borelli yes - maybe even 3 males. There are several people who keep colony if borelli in smaller aquarium such as @Samala who can probably give you some first hand tips. Here thread is here:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I personally wouldn't try it, but try it and let us know how it works for you. My (conservative) view is a 1ft/30cm diameter territory per apisto. This can be expanded or contracted depending on one's experience with apistos and the apisto species.

Ij7760

So maybe one male and three females maybe ok…I do have experience with apistos I thought I may get away with two males in the tank but maybe not.
I have bred them before but all the young were eaten by other fish in the tank.(the tank was a planted tank a bit of a South American community tank)
do You know if cardinal tetras or rummy nose tetras would eat apisto fry.

anewbie

So maybe one male and three females maybe ok…I do have experience with apistos I thought I may get away with two males in the tank but maybe not.
I have bred them before but all the young were eaten by other fish in the tank.(the tank was a planted tank a bit of a South American community tank)
do You know if cardinal tetras or rummy nose tetras would eat apisto fry.
Yes both rummy and esp cardinals will go after frys. Pencil fishes seem to be the recommended dither; though I've had luck with ember tetra and kubotai rasbora. People say ember will eat frys - i had luck with ember and a. pucallpaensis though i suppose they might have eaten a few frys after mom stopped protecting them.

MacZ

You know if cardinal tetras or rummy nose tetras would eat apisto fry.
In my experience the only fry safe tetras are small species like Tucanoichthys. That size category should be ok. But there's no guarantee.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Cardinals and Rummys are both well known fry predators. Coming from blackwater habitats, where few insect larvae and crustaceans can readily survive, both species have become adept at predating on any small organism. If you watch them feed in a tank, they do the same with a school of fry. An apisto female just can't compete. She will drive one off and the rest of the tetras will take advantage of her absence.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….