• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto. Mendezi 'Rio Curicuriari’

Ekona

5 Year Member
This past week I was able to obtain two very nice WC apisto species. One was a pair of
A. agassizii 'Barra Mansa, Alenquer'.

The other are these A. mendezi listed with the collection location 'Rio Curicuriari' - which appears to be a tributary of the Rio Negro downstream from Sao Gabriel. Without a doubt the nicest apisto I've ever seen. Got both species from Jeff Rapps of Tangled Up In Cichlids. He's got quite a nice selection at the moment. Add him to the Good Apisto Source thread. Jeff is a great guy and runs totally professional operation.

Male
r1i7.jpg

Female
lcs2.jpg

Male ~1.25" and female ~1" tiny little gems!

Last edited:

Ekona

5 Year Member
Here are a few recent photos of this pair of Mendezi. I've been keeping them separated since I got them, and tried putting them together, but the male was just too aggressive toward the female, which is still not fully mature, so I separated them again. They are growing tho.

Male
tfdkh.jpg

Female
gpshl.jpg

r9vo.jpg

This one, although not the best photo, shows some of the subtle coloring in the female.
25qk.jpg

Duffmanj

Got a couple of lookers there! It would be interesting to know if Jeff knows of any good sources in the UK.

BigTom

Got a couple of lookers there! It would be interesting to know if Jeff knows of any good sources in the UK.

Oddball Express in Stafford are planning a Jeff Rapps order at the end of this week, they're taking requests now I believe. Lists on their FB page.

Ekona

5 Year Member
I'm not sure A. mendezi are frequently available in the US either - I thought is was a lucky find.

Great to see that UK /Oddball Express can get TUIC fishes. I don't see A. mendezi on Jeff's current website stocklist, but perhaps he has some in reserve for wholesale shipments?? He seems to think he will bring in ongoing Brazilian apisto shipments tho.

Ekona

5 Year Member
Placing the pair of mendezi in with a few other apistos in a larger aquarium has caused them to grow out, interact, color up. Here's a couple of pics of the male - a bit chunkier now - in display mode - quite nice. Another species I will try to breed.
orqta.jpg

ofnq.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….