• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Maciliense

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning All,

I have an opportunity to get a pair of these Maciliense. I loved the look of these on the cover of book 1 and although I have read up on this beauties, can anybody give me some real tips on these ? thanks in advance cheers jk :cool:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You're right Tom, there is no such species as A. macilensis - only a subspecies of A. trifasciata (and no longer considered a valid taxon).

BTW if I don't email before you leave, you and Mark have a great trip in Peru and bring back something NEW!:biggrin: I understand that much of the Peruvian Amazon has drought conditions right now. Many rivers levels are 50cm below normal.

briztoon

5 Year Member
Hi bigbird,

These came through Fishchicks late last year or early this year, can't quite remember, and were being sold as Apistogramma sp. Rio Mamore. I have a trio at home, and the male is identical to the male on the cover of Cichlid Atlas 1. However many of the males were not as colourfull and many did not have much red in thier finage at all.

They are a very shy species, but mine have become much more outgoing since I added a group of grow out juveniles in to the tank next to theres. They are not an aggressive species, my two females occasionally will come face to face and the worst I have ever seen is some dominance displaying and a quick chase that lasts less than 10cm. Quite often the male will intervene between these "show downs", but I have never seen any aggression from him towards the females apart from displaying.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sounds right: A. sp. Rio Mamore = "A. maciliensis" (mis-ID; not a form of A. trifasciata) = A. erythrura. It comes with several different colors on the male's caudal fin.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
A. erythrura. is a really nice species and I would like to try them again. I had a pair but lost my female before ever getting a spawn. They were sold as Apistogramma sp Rio Mamore.

It is too bad a bit more collecting isn't being done in the Pantanal area because in addition to Apistogramma species, there are some nice Corydoras, Ancistrus claro( a 2-1/2 inch dwarf bushy Nose) and various Characins.
It is the one of or the largest inland fresh water swamps on earth but several tropical diseases are a problem for people and their livestock.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Male

Yuo still have the male???--- I had a pair but lost my female before ever getting a spawn. They were sold as Apistogramma sp Rio Mamore.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….