• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Borellii and German blue rams

G

Goldfish freak

Hello folks.

I would please like to know if It would be alright to keep a pair of Apisto Borellii and a pair of German blue rams together in a well planted 3 foot long 40 gallon tank? Would this combination be sucessful or would there be agression problems if apistos or rams decide to breed?

farm41

5 Year Member
Not likely to have aggression problems with these two fish in that size tank.

What is your water harness though? Ph?

Rams like it soft

G

Goldfish freak

My water has a pH of 7.6-7.8, and a KH of about 4.7 degrees and a GH of about 6.7 degrees out of the tap year round. Is this soft enough for them?

farm41

5 Year Member
The borellii will be fine in there, keep the water clean and the rams will be OK too, not likely for the rams eggs to hatch though, but they may try to breed.

The borellii will likely spawn and raise fry.

fishboy20

5 Year Member
if the borellii do raise the fry most will be females due to the pH. they need softer water for the ratio of males:females to be 50%. off the top of my head i think a pH of 6-6.5 gives close to 50% of each sex.

G

Goldfish freak

Good to hear that I can keep these two type of fish together as I really like them both. I do not plan to breed the rams anyway so I am not concerned that the eggs would not hatch.

G

Goldfish freak

Does the higher temperature produce more males or is it the other way around?

P.W.

5 Year Member
Keep in mind that the Ramirezi is a species that requires a high water temperature. Close to +30 C would be ideal, I think.
While the Borellii is a subtropical species that requires quite low temperatures. ( +22c- + 26C) At least you should try to keep them at a lower temperature during half the year.
( I keep my Borelliis in +23 C water Ph=5,5 Dh= below 1. They produces frys normally at a sexratio at 50/50 under these conditions)

Best regards/ Per

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….