• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any Ideas?

DH247

5 Year Member
I think he may be a loach of some kind, but I'm really not sure. He was the only one in with a few remaining Hill-Stream loaches that I picked up today. He has dual dorsal fins and his ventral fins are pretty much fused together to act like a suction cup so he can 'stick' to smooth objects. Here are a few pics, with a caveat, I do not have an image editor yet so they are very large! So download with patience or high bandwidth please!! :eek: There. You've been warned :cool:. I am working to correct this problem!

http://www.cam-somerville.com/fish/Unknown1.JPG
http://www.cam-somerville.com/fish/Unknown2.JPG
http://www.cam-somerville.com/fish/Unknown_head.JPG

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Cam

retro_gk

5 Year Member
Nice find! That is a goby, not a loach. If they came in as a contaminant with hill stream loaches, depending on the country of origin, it could be a Sicydium, Stiphodon or Rhinogobius species. I am only familiar with a couple of species in that group, so cannot ID them further.

They like well oxygenated water and like to graze on aufwuchs. A well established tank will do wonders for their well being.

Looking at the shape of the head, I think it is a Rhinogobius species. If you want more info, I suggest you forward the images to naomi (at) gobiidae (dot) com

DH247

5 Year Member
Thanks very much!! Very cool! They guys at the LFS weren't sure what he was exactly so they just called him a loach for me and put a price on em of $6.50CDN :biggrin:.

MaryJPa

5 Year Member
I asked Loaches online and posted your pics. This is the response I got about your fish.
Jim Powers said:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It looks like Rhinogobius duospilus (formerly R. wui) which is, in fact, a freshwater goby. This one looks to be a female to me. Males are more colorful and have a more rounded snout.
I have this species and they like hillstream loach type conditions with good flow, high oxygen and temps in the 70-76F range. They also need hiding places and will excavate areas under flat stones. Favorite foods are brine shrimp and bloodworms in that order. They will may snap at a passing flake, but will usually spit it out. Mine spawned by laying eggs on a flat stone that was guarded by the male. Unfortunatley, the eggs were eaten by other fish in the tank." :wink:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….