• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Another Fry What To Do This Time?

Should I give Orange Flash female a go at this fry?

• Move frist fry and place the new in the 10g. tank?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • nothing just hope for best?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
My Orange Flash female has another fry. I'm thanking on pulling them out and doing the parentless hatching again. Or should I give the mom a go at it this time?
What would ya'll do ?

I have a fry of Orange Flash thats 8 days old and free swimming. If I moved the new eggs into the tank with this fry would the older fry eat the eggs or has anybody done that before?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Let her keep them. She will become a better parent by gaining experience. My triple red female ate her first batch the day they were hatching. All but four of the second batch disappeared. Now she raises them all to the two week point at which I move them.

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
I most just have a bad moma or something. This will be her 6th atemped at a fry and has ate all but the ones i remove. So I'm a litle bit affarid of let her try again. But and thats a big but If I do she should get better you would thank?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Another thing to consider... if she is a 'bad Momma' and continues to eat her fry, do you really want to perpetuate that trait in your breeding stock by artificially rearing the fry? Maybe you should look for another female.

mematrix

5 Year Member
Re To Post

Hi Apisto ranch. What the heck let her try again she is obviously prolific so you will have a chance again to artifically hatch again if need be. Wish i could say the same for my dbl reds they eat their eggs as soon as they lay them I don't even get a chance to see if they have laid any plus they are the most skidish of my apistos. I think my wilds (pebas) are thinking on spawning. Any way good luck

Curtis

fishgeek

maybe if you gave the fish something to defend her fry against it would concentrate her mind

make sure the fish is not a great predator or the mother will eat the fry as she cant defend against predation
and make sure that the predator is not going to be overly damaged

andrew

lab

5 Year Member
I agree with Ted. If it is a case of an inherited trait, which is quite possible in my opinion, the offspring will probably eat their young ones too.
If this is really the case you have not really solved the problem but just multiplied it by hatching artificially.
Take a look at rams (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) and Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare) where this has been a very real problem for many years. In the forums of my country not a week goes by without people are seeking advice on how to hatch artificially. I really think it is a shame, because one of the main joys of keeping cichlids is to watch them tend to their fry.
I could be wrong here, but when I kept some wild rams years back, they never once ate their eggs, no matter what stress they were put under.
I hope you take all of this in good spirit, Apisto ranch. I know some of the people in my home country is a bit fed up with my arguments on this subject:biggrin:

best regards,
Lars

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. Good sprit I wouldn't have put up the poll if I wasn't looking for input. LOL See I'm wanting to see the female hatch a fry and take them on a swim around the tank. I'm going to give her another try then. I started this Buisness to make money not lose thou. LOL
I guess it's all up to her this time. LOL I'll keep you posted. On if see eats are not. There is other Apisto's pairs in the tank along with two female Betas and some Mollys. So she has something to fight off thats for sure. The female Betta's are always trying to get into the cave. But she hasn't let them. They are starting to stay away from the cave now and only come just close enough that she'll move to the front. So they cn see her.

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
The fry i let her keep does have afew wigglers today. Out of 57eggs that I counted. I only see 5 wigglers left. Only a little more time will tell. If any get to the free swimming stage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loscide

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….